Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 29-07-2016 , 06:05 PM

Why would an edge not Detach?

Okay so I have a simple sphere split into two shells. Usually if I select the shells edge border and go to Edit > Detach, it simply splits the shells in two.

For some reason though some meshes do not. What are the rules for detaching an edge? I read on Mayas documentation, from what I read, I should be able to simply select and edge loop and detach.

Its all in tris, if that matters? I have no idea why some would and would not detach at the edge.

# 2 30-07-2016 , 02:44 AM
Really need to see the model and specific example of what edges you are trying to detach to be able to provide help.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 09-08-2016 , 01:30 AM

Really need to see the model and specific example of what edges you are trying to detach to be able to provide help.

Sorry about that. Trying to split the edge along the UV unwrap. Sometimes it works, most times it doesnt. I dont know why. This particular horn does not want to split along the edge.

If I detach it, i'll see the normal actually split or look like its split. However If I click a face or soft select nearby to see if its actually split, its not. Im completely lost. It seems like I can only truly split an edge if its a loop like a sphere but if its an edge of a square, I cant.

Below I selected the edges along the uv unwrap and edit mesh > detach.
user added image

Still connected.
user added image

Normal seems split.
user added image