Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 31 27-10-2002 , 09:20 PM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
Let's try to keep this place civil, please.

I believe you´re right. Sometimes, this kind of arguments can get pretty heated. I apologize for anything that might have been missunderstood.
user added image

Maya still rules user added image

# 32 27-10-2002 , 09:48 PM
Subscriber
i was merely providing a different pov to everyone elses cos i came from max and i know what its like, i know virtually everyone here would be voting for maya, which is why i was talking about max good points, and what it can do, not really being biased towards max or anything, just being fair to all programs because i think all programs can do whatever you want them to do, only with some you can achieve different things faster, was just pointing that out
and you dont have to devote ur entire life to just maya to be a mod user added image

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 33 27-10-2002 , 09:51 PM
<-- Refrains himself from answering ... user added image

# 34 28-10-2002 , 08:13 AM
Kevin
I have had a million discussions on such things but really try not to get involved now.

At the end of the day I have seen some amazing things done in lightwave, maya, 3dmax, xsi and the list goes on.

I remember once having a chat with mr phillips once about the different programmes / the best /etc... and we both decided that "it does not matter"

Yep we all have our favorites as some we use more then others, but they are all good. I speak of my frustration of max due to the fact that I just couldnt get it doing anything I wanted lol....but I have seen some "amazing" stuff out there with max... stuff that I could only dream of doing !

These debates although good to hear different views are kinda pointless if we cant keep things humane and without ripping each others heads off user added image

Its ok to have a little fun and a laugh but lets reframe from the swearing as it hurts my ears.

GO GO GO MAYA!!!!!! ALL THE WAY user added image

# 35 28-10-2002 , 10:04 AM
Supreme Being
agree.. you can never come to a conclusion on this subject..
well maybe except for this one..

MAYA RULES !!!

hehe.. user added image

# 36 28-10-2002 , 02:55 PM
time to throw in my 2 cents I guess.

this kind of tool-loyality is pretty unique to 3D artists. I have never heard about 2 painters argumenting over the make of brushes they use like this. Looks like the companies behind those 3D apps did quite a good job at biasing their customers.

After all it's the artist not the tool that does great artwork.
I have seen crappy work done with 3dsmax and I have seen incredible work done with Blender.

That doesn't mean I don't have preferences. I certainly have.

When I started out with that whole 3D thing, I couldn't afford *any* of these packages, so I settled for Blender. Over 1 year I earned enough money doing 3D to pay for my rent, car and food and was finally able to purchase a more pro tool. But which one to go for? Maya Complete was 7500 USD back then, so it was clearly way out of my range. 3dsmax? Still pricey, but I played with a demo version and it was easy to set up a scene and render. I didn't even think of modeling anything though; too scary (all those panels and menus, Blender didn't have menus; I just memorized about 20 Hotkeys). Oh and that crappy Scanline renderer... So I wrote it off as an expensive plugin API. I was in need of a highend renderer; even with Blender I went for photorealism and had a tough time: no raytracing, shadowmaps limited to 2k and spots were the only lights that could cast shadows. Next was a demo of C4D. Oh boy, that GUI felt like a crappy plastic toy about to break. So I moved on to the LightWave galleries and got impressed real quick. I ordered my seat without even trying to model a thing in it; it didn't matter; that was the renderer I just plain *needed*. Full HDRI support, radiosity, 160 bit floating point render engine. Wow. And even the modeler worked for me. More than that; I fell in love with it almost immediately. Still the best poly modeler in my opinion (though Wings 3D looks impressive too). Notice that I skipped the part where I sat in front of my brand new LightWave for an hour, absolutely clueless. 2 different apps?? How do booleans work? Why can't I re-edit a curve after creation? But eventually I learned all of this. It's all about motivation, passion and commitment.

Anyway, I just recently added a seat of maya to my toolbox and am very impressed! The same day I finally received my serial number and authorization code, a|w announced to bundle mental ray for maya 1.5 with maya 4.5 for free. Wow. The way the maya interface can be customized and added to is unique. The ability to build shader networks in the Hypershade is incredibly useful. All in all maya feels like working very close to the code. Good thing. I'm still familiarizing with maya (due to time constraints) and am thinking up a "first project" but even so I feel it's easier to grasp than LW was when I started. I'm very eager to set it to work on something useful... will do it immediately after my next 2 or 3 gigs are finished. (oh, and a LW-maya-LW pipeline is pretty common in the indusry user added image )

So, with this said, I believe max can't really keep up with these 2. The only advantage may be the availability of plugins and 3rd party renderers as I see it.

And there's more to a prog than just the code; the community. I still believe the LW community is very special and unique, but when I was so kindly invited to this board by Kevman I found out there's at least one very friendly and open minded isle in the sea of maya arrogance!
I posted a render done in LW in the forums and didn't get bashed. That's very special. I have seen maya boards where newbies get constantly flamed for asking "silly" questions. Lots of RTFM. They even advised newbies to search the web for 3 hours, read the manual, search the web again for 3 hours and only ask their question if they haven't come across the answer by then... excuse me your majesty, but what is a Q&A forums use then? If there are people experienced enough to just answer the question in a few seconds, why don't they do it? And if they don't bother to do so, why do they reply at all? Strange behaviour. I like to figure out by myself as much as I can, but I don't frequent forums where newbies are treated that way.

You have a very special place here. Don't break it.

(and forgive me for this lengthy post)

# 37 28-10-2002 , 03:32 PM
Supreme Being

Originally posted by philip - liquid.arts

I posted a render done in LW in the forums and didn't get bashed. That's very special. I have seen maya boards where newbies get constantly flamed for asking "silly" questions. Lots of RTFM. They even advised newbies to search the web for 3 hours, read the manual, search the web again for 3 hours and only ask their question if they haven't come across the answer by then... excuse me your majesty, but what is a Q&A forums use then? If there are people experienced enough to just answer the question in a few seconds, why don't they do it? And if they don't bother to do so, why do they reply at all? Strange behaviour. I like to figure out by myself as much as I can, but I don't frequent forums where newbies are treated that way.

You have a very special place here. Don't break it.

(and forgive me for this lengthy post)

well i was also amazed with this place of it's friendly atmosphere when i got here the first time too.. thats probably why i stayed here anyway.. ]
i know when i got here there where only another 57 members! lol
it was easier to achive a friendy atmosphere.. but now there's over 2k members and it still is this way.. i honestly believe that this is among the best forums on the web, if not THE best!

np about the long length post.. it's nice to hear whats on ppl's mind's.. :p

# 38 28-10-2002 , 07:06 PM
philip - liquid.arts, Gotta say, I enjoyed a lot reading your post. Thanks. I agree with all off it, I mean, there´s excellent work being done in 3dmax and there´s crappy work done in 3dmax, there´s excellent work being done in XSI and there´s crappy work being done in XSI, and it so happens to be with our beloved Maya.
However, the nature of the forums lend themselves to controversy, which, in this case happens with almost all this "Which-one-is-better" threads. However there´s little midgets or gems of common thinking you can find in them, just like your post, and I guess that´s what makes them worthwhile.

MAYA RULES! user added image

# 39 29-10-2002 , 12:23 AM
SM Alumni
I don't know, I still think MS Paint is best user added image

Darkon

Red bellows of flame have blackened my stones
Convulsing my frame and cracking my bones
Hell's dragons of steel who roar in their chains
Crawl into my caves to suck out my veins.....

-The Mountain P.F.M.
# 40 29-10-2002 , 01:12 AM

# 41 29-10-2002 , 09:47 AM

Originally posted by Darkon
But RAT and Mentalray are so much easier to use. Darkon

RAT does give much cleaner results than the default renderer, but when it comes to shading in RAT, it's just a bitch

# 42 29-10-2002 , 09:31 PM
SM Alumni
Yeah, that it can be...but just picked up Liquid to try out. Open source translator for Maya to Renderman, looks like it will convert your Maya shaders over to Renderman textures. Weta used it in Lord of the Rings, looks interesting user added image

Darkon

-The Mountain P.F.M.
# 43 29-10-2002 , 11:10 PM
Subscriber
whats liquid? is it free?

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 44 30-10-2002 , 06:39 AM
The TRUE power of Maya comes from its NODE-BASED ARCHITECTURE...you can do just about anything. It was designed from scratch with that purpose in mind.

Hypergraph and hypershade are awesome when you learn how to use them. Learning curve is up there with anything else.

That's why Maya blows away everything else. That and the smokin' hot cigarette model. user added image

If you want to learn a good 3D program fast, most schools have LightWave courses. If you're in this for the long haul, and we most certainly hope that you are, Maya is definitely IT for character animation, product prototypes, film, and yes, games.

If you're more interested in extremely technical this and that, take a look at Houdini. However, I think someone with a lot of MEL experience can come up with just about anything.

Damn, I love that model.

Signatures are the opium of the masses.
# 45 30-10-2002 , 04:27 PM
SM Alumni
Hey Nem, Liquid is free user added image I'm not home right now so I don't have that bookmark, but if you search you can find the page for it, in order to d/l it go to the SourceForge.Net icon at the bottom user added image

Darkon

-The Mountain P.F.M.

Last edited by Darkon; 31-10-2002 at 07:19 AM.