Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 08-01-2006 , 07:28 PM

Maya Cloth vs. Max Cloth

Aight, here is another issue to debate, max vs maya.

Whose cloth is better? I think that Max cloth is so much eisier to use, and to set up.
But, all of Maya's cloth constraints are very good as well, and I heared that Max's are hearder to use.

But the opinion that I came up with is that Max beats Maya over cloth.

5 minutes and this
user added image

vs.

10 minutes and this
user added image

you choose.

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 2 08-01-2006 , 07:33 PM
The Maya Mountain
I've not used Max's cloth, so I don't know for sure, but from what I've heard from Maxers, the new cloth in Max IS Maya's cloth... one of the first additions after the Autodesk aquisition.

Could be mistaken.

# 3 08-01-2006 , 07:43 PM
You know, you might be right, the UI is almost the same!
All of the values are the same name.

BUT, Autodesk could have taken Maya cloth and debugged it some more, then added it to 3ds max 8. Or made it eisier to use... whatever.

For me at least, Max's cloth is sooo much more convenient.

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 4 08-01-2006 , 08:14 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I think I mentioned this when the autodesk 'gate' came up. The max cloth system is far better than Maya's, regardless of the IU. Its much faster to do, having seen the videos of the latest version of Max, myself and colleagues did wonder why we'd all bought Maya!!

Max's latest cloth was out before Autodesk was almost there

I also thought that Autodesk should sell separate plugins of Cloth, fur, hair etc for those of us that cant afford Maya Unlimited, also you could just have one version of Maya instead of 2, that way you could just build up your toolkit from plugins as and when you could afford to do so. This would also be ideal for freelancers starting out, whereas large production houses re-write cloth etc for their own engines.

Autodesk I hope you are reading this...

Cheers
Jay

# 5 09-01-2006 , 09:05 AM
None of thoes cloth systems are perfect!
But Maya is more open in that question thanks to MEL and API.
Personaly I support Maya simply because theres far more creative and inovative team behind Alias.
I dont know how much will Autodesk keep this creativity or destroy it.

But why do you guys stick so much to cloth system...

Cloth is one of thoes things you can learn best in the industy.
If you really wonna go in deapth with cloth, shaders, visfx I suggest you to start learning programing...omg.

# 6 09-01-2006 , 09:39 AM
Dude, Chill

Some of us in this thread are in the Industry myself and Mike being 2 of them.

We all understand the difficulties of cloth. period.

If we all had time to take apart the API and get to grips with it we would. Also not all companies have the resources to employ people to do such things. Myself am busy with character models, rigs, shaders, and rendering, as we have to be all rounders where Im at, so we do the necessary to get around 'problems' such as cloth.

If I were to support any type of cloth setup Id go with Syflex having used it a couple of times.

Cheers
Jay

# 7 09-01-2006 , 11:59 AM
Hey Jay, lol, I wasnt mad or anything I just wanted to point out that there are other things wich we should work on-developing our artistic skill should be the first, seeing why polys behave the whay they do and why they are better or not better solution then NURBS and subdivisions, what are nodes,wich nodes form polySurfces and what happens if you break connections between them...
People love cloth only becaouse it looks cool when you toss a pice of fabric on table.

I think that must of users dont even know potencials of Maya, why is so widely used in ind...

Well Im sure that you know the best since your one of lucky people who are in industry so I should shut up. :blush:

# 8 09-01-2006 , 12:20 PM
Dude

LOL No I dont know best, just my opinion and work condition, but I see what you mean , and I agree entirely about, 'people see the cloth and throw it straight on an object'. This is true as they think it will improve on their model ten fold when clearly there is no clue as to what and how it all works. Ive been asked many times if I use cloth and the answer is simply no, the set up and time required to sort out would kill production in our company, With what I do, Simple blendshapes are best...

Cheers

Jay

# 9 09-01-2006 , 02:32 PM
The Maya Mountain
hehe, I don't even use cloth in my job. user added image So, doesn't really matter to me.