Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 01-05-2007 , 04:02 AM

Alien caught on video

here is a video that shows what happens to aliens that come to Earth.

Alien video

This is a Flash video.

# 2 01-05-2007 , 04:16 AM
I like it :attn:

# 3 01-05-2007 , 06:55 AM
Jr.Who
Sweet dynamics!
user added image

# 4 01-05-2007 , 12:08 PM
Acid44
that was sweet man 9/10user added image

# 5 01-05-2007 , 07:03 PM
Very cool!! I just think that he could have a bit of a shaddow while he's in the shade. That's it for my crits! I love the personality in the face and he really look just super cool!! Good work my friend!

KUTGW

Sparticus

Expect to excell...
# 6 01-05-2007 , 08:41 PM
Thanks everyone!

Yeah, I did put a shadow on him in the shade but I think I need to turn it up a bit. You're right; it really doesn't show at all..

Last edited by Velusion; 02-05-2007 at 01:19 AM.
# 7 02-05-2007 , 12:37 AM
Subscriber
I thought it was pretty cool looking, wasn't a fan of the music choice but thats not what we're really looking at here. I dont' know much about how you do what you did and anything about animation, but I do know it looked pretty good. How long did it take for you to animate this scene (counting the modeling and rigging)?

# 8 02-05-2007 , 01:26 AM
I modeled the alien last year. I think it took about 40 hours to model(including the active muscles beneath the skin) and maybe another 10 to rig. The animation for all 4 shots took about 10 hours. That doesn't include the deteriorating skin or the particle FX. The hardest part of the whole project was just trying to figure out how to make the skin deteriorate. I ended up using a 3D noise texture on the model to generate a matte that I used to create the holes in the skin. Most of it was done while I was compositing the layers together.

# 9 02-05-2007 , 01:35 AM
Subscriber
just out of curiosity, what is the active muscle you created under the skin? is it something necessary for animation or is it just something you do to help yourself and make it more realistic?

# 10 02-05-2007 , 02:50 AM
The muscles are a part of a muscle/skin system that I bought called Cmuscle. It's a plug-in for Maya. It allows you to create muscles that flex and jiggle. The system also allows you to create skin that reacts more like real skin. I didn't have to use it but I wanted to. I like the results I got but I think that my next model will make use of blendshapes and a softbody skin instead.

Cmuscle is a great muscle system but I think you can get more controlled results from using well modeled blendshapes and softbody skin set up to collide with objects beneath the skin.

Thanks for asking

# 11 02-05-2007 , 05:02 AM
Well, I liked the movie, only things were
1. Little short ( yeah, yeah, I know it's an animation and it takes a long time to make/render, but it still was pretty basic. No offence)
2. A little brutal:
START OF SCENE: introducing a cute alien, who looks like he's enjoying the cars and other things of earth...
END OF SCENE: Chokes on air (?), and then explodes/implodes....
Don't get me wrong, it was impressive, I'm just wondering what you were trying to. . . for lack of better words, DO with this.
I'm sorry if I've caused offence, and I didn't mean to. Also, you're way better than I can hope to be in many years, so don't take this the wrong way.
Chris.

# 12 02-05-2007 , 05:52 AM
Subscriber
no problem thanks for the explenation, although some of it is kind of foreign to me, but with the help of google I will understand better.

# 13 02-05-2007 , 06:20 AM
No offense taken.

I wasn't trying to "do" anything with this clip. It is what it is. Now I'm on to my next project.... Thanks for the comments though!

# 14 02-05-2007 , 05:55 PM
good job velusion - i remeber when you modeled this guy last year - glad to see the final animation.
user added image

# 15 03-05-2007 , 12:14 AM
Right on, I'd love to see what your next thing is.