Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 19-10-2009 , 09:43 PM
Subscriber

Character modelling

Hi all. Ive been working on this model for a few days. The basic figure is the superAverageMan from zbrush, and ive built some clothes and extras around him. Im not exactly sure where the line is between how much detail I add in maya and how much I leave for zbrush,(which I plan to put him in soon) and im not wholly sure whether to try and create displacement maps in zbrush and paint him with photoshop, so I can render him in maya, or paint, scuplt, and render him all in zbrush. I dont really know much about creating a scene or lighting with zbrush. Lots of dont knows, but here he is so far.

I roughly made it with a world war 2 german military/gustapo uniform in mind.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 30-10-2009 , 10:31 AM
Subscriber
I did some scuplting and polypainting in zbrush. I wanted to stay longer in Maya, but my impatience got the better of me, and as its my first go at this kind of process I thought Id just get through it to get a feel for how it works and learn what could do better.

I tried exporting the objs and normal/colour maps back to maya to render but they looked awful, and because the model is made up of so many different parts, the amount of maps quickly added up, and with some mental ray trickery I started getting the old 'out of memory' mental ray errors.

So anyway, heres the model as it stands in zbrush.

I have been looking at a gnomon next gen character creation set of tutorials, and going back over it, theres alot more detail gone on in maya before export to z, so I think thats one of the main lessons i have learned. I also learned about zbrushs ability to uv map objects.

Any crits would be cool...

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 12-11-2009 , 02:36 PM
Technical Director
Looks good. The hands are too small however in proportion to his body.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 12-11-2009 , 02:46 PM
The Nurb Herd
lol, i think the base human is the average man from zbrush, so i'd be surprised if its not in proportion user added image

# 5 12-11-2009 , 06:29 PM
Subscriber
hey, some comments!! been waitin two weeks for those!! hands too small? its true it is the average man from z brush. I've taken him as a bit of an experiment. Have started work on a new guy who Ive spent more time on in maya, again with the average man as a base, where I'm trying to improve on a couple of mistakes I think I made last time. I had way too many subtools I think for the character, and I installed z-app link so i can use photoshop for some of the texturing. I'd like to produce some better renders aswell. I see some amazing z brush art work, I think the renders are often mulitple composites of different layer passes, ala maya. I have bought a book recently which shows how to do a process like that.

Thanks for the comments.

# 6 16-11-2009 , 07:55 PM
Subscriber
here is the guy Ive been working on today. His face is coming on a little better than the last guy, though thats not saying much! The creases on his shirt arnt great, might try and go over them again. This guy is all in one mesh. I might try and give him a bit more of an interesting pose at some point.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 18-11-2009 , 08:26 PM
Subscriber
A new sketch.

Attached Images
# 8 19-11-2009 , 12:13 AM
Subscriber
quick update...

Attached Thumbnails