Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 23-07-2003 , 08:57 PM

lights on paint effects

I need to know how to make the paint effects work with some lights of my scene and dont work with other lights of my scene.
Please I need help on that, because my grass gets too iluminated if I put a backlight on my scene.

kazama
raularosemena@hotmail.com

# 2 23-07-2003 , 10:39 PM
Check out F1, and do a search for "Light Linking".

By default, all objects created in your scene are linked to every light, and that means that all lights in your scene will illuminate all of your objects.

Using the Light Linking technique will allow you to link objects with lights so as to only light certain objects with certain lights, and so on... user added image

[EDIT]

Also keep in mind that PaintFX is a post-process, so they will render last, over-top of your scene, kindof like a glow does.
In Maya 5, you now have the option of converting your strokes to polys, and that allows you to treat your PFX like any other object then.

If you are not on Maya 5, then in your brush attributes, there is a checkbox that says "Use Real Lighing" or something like that that may halp you when you are linking lightsetsuser added image

Good luck!

[/EDIT]

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 24-07-2003 , 12:03 AM
This will help a lot, thank's ragecgi. But a have some questions.
I alredy know the thing about light linking but the window don't show any of the strokes so I guess this is where a have to use the convert strokes to polys. The default settings will work well or I have to change something?.
And one more thing, the checkbox that says use real lighting, I don't understand well what it does, it looks that wen I unchecked the strokes lose ilumination, but I don't get it right.

kazama

# 4 24-07-2003 , 03:39 AM
Well, I havn't yet been able to play with the PFX-to-polys as yet, so I'm no help there... sryuser added image

BUT, when you open your brush attribute editor window, go to its' help menu, and choose "Help on this brush" or "help on PaintFX" to get a listing of attribute descriptions and usage,
and this will tell you what that checkbox means, and how it worksuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 5 06-08-2003 , 10:54 PM
Look's like under light linking tab, in light sources we have the the lights that are under the ddefault light set, so efault light set affect the paint effects.
By default all lights affects the paint effects, so what we have to do is select the light we dont want to affect the strokes an go to edit and select make hightlighlighted lights not iluminated by default.
But if we have this light affecting other objects the lights connections will by lost and we'll have to connect them again to the object.

kazama