Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 13-08-2004 , 12:16 PM
Subscriber

Any special rigging for...

Hi,
Ive just completed the Mech Tut and am very pleased with what i have achieved, it has inspired me to get more into mechanical modelling than organic, BUT my question is, is there any special way to rig a mechanical object which will allow it to move without things bending and blending if you know what i mean, say you had a leg (2 streched circles with a hole in at each end) and you just wanted them to move/rotate at their join hole/point.
I am rather new to Maya so please keep that in mind user added image

Would it just be a case of grouping and setting the position of rotation and movement??

If anyone can tell me or point me in the right direction i would MUCH appreciate it

Thanks
Chris

"While I recognize the necessity for a basis of observed reality - true art lies in a reality that is felt"
(Odilon Redon)
# 2 13-08-2004 , 12:27 PM
The Maya Mountain
You could use a skeleton or parenting hierarchies.

If using a skeleton, instead of binding the mech to it like you would organics, you would parent the different parts to it... the upper leg to the hip bone, the lower leg to the knee, etc.

Or, you could parent the lower leg to the upper leg, but in my opinion, using a skeleton is cleaner.

# 3 13-08-2004 , 01:17 PM
Subscriber
Yes,
Thanks Michael, I just finished your rigging tut also user added image
Ill have a go and try and get something done.
If i do ill .Avi it and wack a quick clip up on here

Thanks
Chris

"While I recognize the necessity for a basis of observed reality - true art lies in a reality that is felt"
(Odilon Redon)

Last edited by chrisella; 13-08-2004 at 10:56 PM.
# 4 18-08-2004 , 03:01 PM
Technical Director
You could also just move around the piviot points to make it work.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.