Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 12-04-2006 , 02:23 AM

compositing into live video Q

hey guys,

USed to be Vampire a long time ago around here... wasnt the best an modeling organics but standard stuff was ok.

anyways...

Im doing some video work and want to do my own simple CG for it.

I have a scene Where someone fires a gun, im going to track the bullet as cg. Which I should be able to create without much effort.

Question:

How do i render the video from maya So i can use as an overlay with blue screen etc for the video?

Ie I have braod idea what to do but not sure. So if someones done it before it will save me some guess work...

So I guess what im really asking is...

Given the video is recorded and I have taken a still (moment of bullet fire) from the film to use as a guide in maya.. have then created the bullet and animation then removed the guide plane.

How do I then export the maya file to import it into premier or another movie project software? Ie should I be setting a background color? etc

cheers

V3nom.

# 2 12-04-2006 , 09:28 AM
you will use the alpha channel of the rendered bullet to composite it over the top of the live action.

Bluescreening is only used when you want to put a real life actor etc ontop of something cg e.g. a cg background.

you will need something like after effects or shake to composite it though. Premier wont handle it well because it's an editing app not a compositing one.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 12-04-2006 , 10:05 AM
cheers.

# 4 14-04-2006 , 11:31 PM
okies,

rendered the video from maya with the alpha channel...

thrown it into after effects and im lost..

know of any tutes or a simple how to put 2 vidoes in?

ie one is the live action
one is the 3d animation (to overlay the live)

cheers
v3

# 5 15-04-2006 , 03:20 PM
Subscriber
ummmmmm its's a maya forum so you might be better of trying this one.

https://forums.creativecow.net/index.html

it is a bit tedious to search but there are good tutorials on how to composite. Like light spill; track mattes usw.
Doing a simple composite is not to difficult though. Ideally you have both movies the same size, so 720x576 in pal for example.
You now drag your original onto the timeline. Done that you drag your cg footage to the timeline as well. And drag it so it sits on top of your video footage. Thats how it basically works.

good luck