Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 02-06-2003 , 11:41 AM
Subscriber

June Challenge - BabyDuck - Normal

i need some distance from my monster before starting to rig him, so i thought i enter this months challenge. i hope the rigging of something mechanical will be a bit easier than something organic. my "vehicle" is supposed to be a climbing thing. got a bit inspired by simon (is that his name?) in first tomb raider movie. the rules say nothing that the vehicle must be a transportation thing for humans, so i make it an autonome vehicle. here is a quick sketch of him. you can clearly see that drawing is not anything i am good in user added image

the environment will be rough mountains including vertical and "overhead" walls whereever climbing is the only way to go.

Attached Images
# 2 02-06-2003 , 11:49 AM
Would be cooler if it could transport guys don´t you think?
If it doesn´t, it would be just like that Mech challenge I ran a while ago. user added image

[EDIT]
ve·hi·cle
A device or structure for transporting persons or things; a conveyance: a space vehicle.
A self-propelled conveyance that runs on tires; a motor vehicle.

Last edited by adldesigner; 02-06-2003 at 11:51 AM.
# 3 02-06-2003 , 11:54 AM
Kevin

Originally posted by adldesigner
Would be cooler if it could transport guys don´t you think?
If it doesn´t, it would be just like that Mech challenge I ran a while ago. user added image

[EDIT]
ve·hi·cle
A device or structure for transporting persons or things; a conveyance: a space vehicle.
A self-propelled conveyance that runs on tires; a motor vehicle.

adl - please read this thread

https://www.forum.simplymaya.com/show...?threadid=5337

user added image LOL

# 4 02-06-2003 , 11:57 AM
LOL, You´re contaminating BabyDuck´s thread!
Besides, I wrote the d*mn thing.
(Or "adapted" it) :p

# 5 02-06-2003 , 12:18 PM
Subscriber
oh hell, i will make it a transport thing - i just scale him up and put a cockpit in his head. cars are not allowed, right? so no motor vehicles. if i make a off-road truck, it is still just a car. and there is extreme situation where wheels and tires just are a no go. what happens to rubber tires if you go through lava?

# 6 02-06-2003 , 12:39 PM
The Maya Mountain
what was meant by "cars not allowed" was just doing a normal car and calling it an extreme vehicle. Your vehicle, of course, can have a motor. Also, make sure the environment you're designing for is evident.

# 7 03-06-2003 , 11:25 PM
Subscriber
well, i started with rigging something that does not exist. but i wanted to figure our how to do the hydaulics. the locator is the thing i can move around to extend the hydro thing and rotate the join below with it. having figured that out, i can start creating my model user added image

btw, the movie is encoded with divx 5.0.5

Attached Files
File Type: zip hydro_test_divx.zip (113.0 KB, 178 views)
# 8 07-06-2003 , 09:04 AM
Subscriber
ok, i started with the real model now. and as it is a climber, i started with the hands. as he sometimes does not need to really grab, the fingers fold into the hand completely when not needed. out of the last part of the finger will come out another little legment with a hook thing. the hinges are not yet modeled, so the pieces seam to be not connected.

here is a wireframe of the subd

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 07-06-2003 , 09:07 AM
Subscriber
it is a bit confusing from the shot there. the idea can be seen in this little animation. the top of the oval thing in the middle will be connected to the lower arm. and the fingers are to touch the ground or wall and grab.

divx 5.0.5 video:

Attached Files
File Type: zip bd-june-divx-03.zip (115.7 KB, 186 views)
# 10 07-06-2003 , 11:28 AM
ahhhh, all makes sence when i saw video, very cool idea! love it!

FX supervisor - double negative
# 11 09-06-2003 , 07:01 PM
Subscriber
like it! nice motion - nice shapes

Check out the subsurfacescattering on my tongue...

<a href="https://www.reitzmachine.com">www.reitzmachine.com</a>
# 12 10-06-2003 , 12:06 PM
Subscriber
thru... nice shape and idea

When the only tool you use is a hammer, every problem begins to look like a nail.
# 13 11-06-2003 , 11:54 AM
Subscriber
oh, i am slow. i wish i had more time on my hand. added a claw to the last finger. a few creases added as well and the fingers are now connected with hinges (bit hard to see in this picture).

Attached Thumbnails