Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 27-08-2003 , 12:02 PM

Texture mapping

Hi there, i'm having trouble placing a texture map onto my model, i've tried placing the same texture onto another object - say a simple nurb sphere - and the texture works fine, but when I try the same process on my model the map doesnt appear, neither in the main view or when I try to render it.
I've tried texturing both my skinned/rigged model and just the model before skinning/rigging but the same thing happens.

Does anyone know whats happening?

Thanks for any help peeps!

# 2 27-08-2003 , 12:14 PM
The Maya Mountain
if you're dealing with polygons, you may need to UV map your model.

# 3 27-08-2003 , 12:23 PM
yep it's a poly model, so how come the texture works on a poly sphere?

# 4 27-08-2003 , 12:34 PM
Heres a screen grab of my model, sorry about the large file but hopefully it will show up how it looks when i press hotkey 6 after ive tried to add the texture.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 27-08-2003 , 01:16 PM
Subscriber
Have you tried selecting and mapping the UV's? If you select the model and go into edit polygons/ texture you will see various options. Although you will probably want to redo it, automatic mapping sometimes helps fix the whoops can't find the UV thing.

# 6 27-08-2003 , 01:51 PM
The Maya Mountain
Yes, that is an indication of no UVs on the model. The reason it works on a primitive sphere is because primitives come with UVs. When you start to cut, extrude, split, etc a model, the new geometry you are creating does not come with UVs. Eventually, when you get a completed model, NONE of your geometry has UVs, as you are seeing.

I have a little freebie texture tutorial at my site if interested. Mapping UVs is a long, tedious process, but a necessary one.

# 7 27-08-2003 , 02:26 PM
Thanks Mike, i'll have a go at your uv tutorial before I go any further.

Thanks loads again guys.

# 8 27-08-2003 , 05:08 PM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
I have a little freebie texture tutorial at my site if interested. Mapping UVs is a long, tedious process, but a necessary one.

Yes, it took this one, a book, and 2 other texturing tutorials before the lightbulb finally glowed in my head user added image I was not a fast learner of UVs but I'm slowly beating them into submission. 'Twas a nice tutorial and the one which finally flipped the switch.

# 9 27-08-2003 , 07:07 PM
UV mapping has to the worst thing about this sorta work... it soooo damn tedious user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB