Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 31-10-2007 , 01:29 AM
The Maya Mountain

Winter Challenge!

Sports!

Yes, now is the time to dust off those sports fantasies as your challenge for the months of Nov-Jan is to create a sport-themed entry!

Some guidelines:

1) This is a modeling and texturing challenge, so those two tasks are required. The more you can do to present your entry, though, the better! If you want to rig and pose and create cool effects, I'm not going to stop you!

2) Your entry can be about ANY sport! Hockey, baseball, soccer, boxing... or, if you want to invent a sport, that's cool too! Futuristic! (Laser Polo anyone?) Wacky! (Hamster Olympics?)

3) The main idea is to create a character in the chosen sport. Be it a football player in full gear, a cyber jocky and his robo-horse, or whatever.

4) My biggest hope is that everyone takes the extra time that this challenge offers and create their character either in a pose playing the sport or in a sports arena of their own design or something really great like that! That's not required, however. (But sure would be cool!)

5) This is an extra long challenge because of the hollidays as well as my wedding in late January! I'll be getting back in Feb, so in order to handle everything, the deadline is February 10th!

6) All work must be done by the artist submitting. You may submit one entry.

7) There's no limit as to what software you can use to create your models and textures.

8) A finals thread will be created toward the end of the challenge. Finals should be posted there, with screens/renders of the final result.

If you have any questions, ask them here. Keep a look out for any addendums or additions to the guidelines as issues are brought up and answered.

The grand prize for this challenge, is a little different. Hopefully it's something that will be appealing to enough people to enter!

A signed copy of NFL Street 3 for the Playstation 2!

This was my first released game that I worked on and I'd really like to give a copy to a willing home. user added image

(If the PS2 version doesn't float the winner's boat, a PSP version is also available!)

# 2 31-10-2007 , 04:11 AM
Awww I don't like the theme in this one user added image

I can't think of anything

Congrats on the wedding by the way. Im so coming to your bucks night !!! :p

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 3 31-10-2007 , 06:08 AM

Just one question...

Does martial arts considered sports?

# 4 31-10-2007 , 06:17 AM
It has to be. I used to do tae kwon do. HEEE YAAAA

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 5 31-10-2007 , 07:52 AM
Acid44
martial arts is sports but louis man i dont care how much tai kwon do you did ill come to australia and go all out muai tai and combat judo on your ass:p ROUND 1 FIGHT!!!

sorry for the little off-topicness:blush:

# 6 31-10-2007 , 08:04 AM
OH YEAAH. Bring it canadian boy. What the hell is muai tai?? Sounds like something maori. Kea Ora user added image

# 7 31-10-2007 , 08:05 AM
Acid44
its like... advanced kick-boxinguser added image

# 8 31-10-2007 , 10:04 AM
Jr.Who
Mike, January?! Jeez, that's coming fast. Anyway, does it have to be a character doing something, or can it be a scene about sports?

# 9 31-10-2007 , 10:24 AM

Re: Winter Challenge!

Originally posted by mtmckinley
Yes, now is the time to dust off those sports fantasies as your challenge for the months of Nov-Jan is to create a sport-themed entry!

5) This is an extra long challenge because of the hollidays as well as my wedding in late January! I'll be getting back in Feb, so in order to handle everything, the deadline is February 10th!

Which one?

# 10 31-10-2007 , 11:02 AM
The Maya Mountain
Feb 10th is the deadline.

Yes, martial arts is a sport.

# 11 31-10-2007 , 12:49 PM
Subscriber
I cant wait to start this! though have to wait till i finish my stinking exams in 2-3 weeks. I've got my theme already, though ill try to plan it all out so that i don't mess up in the long run.

My theme is dodge-ball. (No stealing! :p Haha just kidding)

GOODLUCK ALL! user added image

# 12 31-10-2007 , 01:53 PM
Subscriber
hmmm dodgeball eh, lol just kidding, although that is a really cool idea. Not sure what sport I'm gonna have a stab at yet, glad about the extended time as will be able to fit around uni work now.

Chris

# 13 31-10-2007 , 02:10 PM
The Maya Mountain

Originally posted by Jr.Who
does it have to be a character doing something, or can it be a scene about sports?

I'd prefer some kind of character work in the final, but what do you have in mind? Maybe it'll be fine.

It's crazy to me to think that by the end of this challenge, I'll be married! Wow! user added image i've done so many of these challenges now and they seem to just fly by to me. I wonder if this one will too?

# 14 31-10-2007 , 03:10 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by mtmckinley
I'd prefer some kind of character work in the final, but what do you have in mind? Maybe it'll be fine.

I was thinking of some sports equipment, but I need to spend more time thinking about it.

# 15 31-10-2007 , 05:07 PM
Subscriber
sorry if this is a stupid question, but where on this forum do we post the entries, do we post them in the WIP section, or in the members lounge