Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 20-03-2004 , 01:37 PM
Subscriber

My first Maya-attempt

Hi!

I know, it's just from one of the tutorials, but I felt, I could need a bit of feedback on that one. I fiddled a bit with the sword-textures and the lighting.

Since this is my very first attempt to learn Maya, please comment on this one. I need some feedback.

Thanks for your time

Neo

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 20-03-2004 , 02:10 PM
Kevin
I think it looks bloody good! maybe add a nice enviroment .. but the sword looks sweet

# 3 20-03-2004 , 02:48 PM
Subscriber

Environment-Test

Hi!

I've been experimenting on a surrounding, but without great success. One test was some kind of a table (with tablecloth, thanks to the cloth-tutorial. :-))

And here it is. One more noobie-question: How can I do realistic shadows? Is there a simple approach to that problem?

Thanks again

Neo

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 20-03-2004 , 02:52 PM
I usually use Final Gather with Mental Ray, and play with the settings until I get a nice shadow.

"The first rule in government spending: 'Why build one when you can have two at twice the price?'" - From the movie 'Contact'.
# 5 20-03-2004 , 04:08 PM
Looks great !!

Were did you get the mesh shader ?

# 6 21-03-2004 , 02:57 AM
Subscriber
The Shader for the blade comes with the tutorial. I just tweaked the settings for the layered shader. The instructions for building the one for the handle and the golden parts also come with the tutorial. I also just optimized them to my liking. The one for the "tablecloth", it is on (which is fairly just a test) is a simple, home made texture.

I hope, this answeres your question. If not, please let me know. (Yeah, and look into the tutorial for the sword texturing :-))

# 7 22-03-2004 , 02:41 PM
Subscriber

Sword-Handle

Hi!

I just wanted to post a picture of the sword-handle, as I think, you can't see it on my previous photos. It's pretty much that one of tht tutorial.

Thanks for all the great tutorials, by the way!

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 22-03-2004 , 07:47 PM
Very nice for a first, I'm impresses!

I know how hard it can be starting out in the 3d art world, talk about being lost when you open maya for the first time.

# 9 23-03-2004 , 12:28 AM
That is DAMN NICE work for your first attempt at Maya!! Keep it up!

-------------------------------------------
# 10 23-03-2004 , 12:46 AM
Subscriber
yeah very very nice .see you got a thing for texturing

Alpha Gamma Sygma.
# 11 23-03-2004 , 09:23 AM
Subscriber
That's right. In the last few nights, I discovered, I'm not a modeling-guy. :-) Texturing is much nicer. You get nicer results faster. *lol*