Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 22-08-2004 , 11:23 PM

Whats better to get?

Hi everyone just have a few questions to help me make a upgrade.

Whats is better to get

P4 3 gig, AMD 3 gig or AMD 64

If AMD 64 how dose it work with Maya using xp pro i see on Alias the AMD have not been tested?

Thanks SM'ers

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 2 23-08-2004 , 07:37 AM
Subscriber
Personally I would go with the AMD 64. I would aim at getting a Opteron based version. Maybe with just a single processor to start with then when funds allow stick in a second.

I haven't seen any reviews where people have used Maya, they all seem to use Max or lightwave, but performance is very good with these apps running in 32bit mode so I would assume Maya should get similar results.

A friend of mine is running a amd64 3200 with xp64 beta and that seems fairly stable but I couldn't say for sure how it would run with a beast like Maya, it may get a bit flakey.

If not the AMD64 I would go for the P4, I'm loathed to say it being a firm AMD supporter but they do seem better than a XP in terms of performance in apps like Maya, but you do play alot more for P4 systems over AMD XP(32).

So in sumation AMD64 is as fast, if not faster than, P4's at same speed in 32bit work. When 64bit finally comes of age then you will get a further performance gain. In my opinion if your spending a sizable amount of cash you want to protect you investment as much as possible and this seem to me to be the best way.

Hope this helps Kurt.

# 3 23-08-2004 , 12:48 PM

"Whatever tomorrow brings I'll be there...with open arms, and open eyes" - Incubus
# 4 24-08-2004 , 07:53 AM
Subscriber
i'm just about to upgrade and switch to amd, from p4

this review for the k8 board seems quite good at a relitivly easy on the wallet price, overclocking is easily achievable too,

the review has a good variety of benchmarks including a lightwave 7.0 rendering time, it should give you a clearer idea, or you can wait for a week and i'll compare my P4 to my AMD

MURPH
# 5 24-08-2004 , 02:14 PM
Thanks for the replys =) I'll see what I can do.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 6 24-08-2004 , 03:20 PM
Subscriber
If you have the cash, go for a Opteron single proc and get another proc later. This is the best long term investment you can make. Getting the second procs in a few months will double your working speed at a fraction of the cost for a new computer.

Unless you have a renderfarm at your disposal, I think its the best bet.

# 7 24-08-2004 , 08:41 PM
Subscriber

Re: Whats better to get?

Originally posted by Kurt

If AMD 64 how dose it work with Maya using xp pro i see on Alias the AMD have not been tested?

I'm running an AMD64 with maya on XP Pro and it works fine.

# 8 26-08-2004 , 03:45 PM
Subscriber
AMD all the wayuser added image