Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 28-04-2005 , 09:08 PM
Subscriber

WIP: Boulton-Paul Defiant

Just started modelling a Boulton-Paul Defiant, a WW2 RAF fighter. It took part in the Battle of Britain, but was quickly withdrawn due to heavy losses. The reason was that it was too slow to compete with the BF109 fighters, and relied on a rear-facing gun turret for defence.

This model will be used in a short I am currently writing.

I am following Kurt's Spitfire tutorial, and the screenshot shows the progress at the end of the second video.
I have not yet decided if I am going to do the model completely in Maya, or if I am going to convert it into polys, and then take it into Modo, as I prefer the way Modo works for modelling, and I can also work at it on my Mac when I can't be bothered to wait for the PC to boot up.

Any c&c welcome.

MODS: Would I still be able to post WIPs here if I use Modo for the modelling, because, strictly speaking, it is not Maya, but it is following Kurt's videos, and the first part was actually done in Maya.

user added image

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 2 28-04-2005 , 09:22 PM

Best resolt would come, if every one in the group are doing what is best for himself and the group!!

Sorry for bad English, See ya
dead mosquito-blog-on english too
# 3 28-04-2005 , 10:56 PM
Subscriber
far as I'm conserned, modeling is modeling maya or not.

# 4 29-04-2005 , 01:13 AM
Subscriber
Are you going to leave the wing profile as is, or are you going to give it the correct profile?

Looks good so far.

Cheers
Paul

# 5 29-04-2005 , 06:48 AM
Subscriber
I'm definately going to give it the correct profile. I want it to be as accurate as possible. Unfortunately though, I've had to make an educated guess about what the wingtip looks like, as it is not on the reference image I am using.

The reference image is available at https://www.suurland.com, under the Blueprints>Fighter (Propeller) link.

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 6 29-04-2005 , 07:11 AM
Subscriber
I found a Russian website with some of the best reference pics I ever seen. I will see if I can find you the link . . it could help.

Cheers
Paul

# 7 01-05-2005 , 12:59 PM
Subscriber
That would be great. I need reference pics.

# 8 06-05-2005 , 08:33 PM
Subscriber
Sorry for the lack of updates, but I've only had chance to work on this for about half an hour a day. Anyway, here are a couple of shots of the latest version of my Boulton-Paul Defiant.

So far, I have converted the fuselage into polys, attached the wings using booleans and put in the aileron on the main wing.
There are a couple of areas that need fixing, mostly the area between the front of the cockpit and the back of the gun turret. I also need to do a bit of work on the tail, but I haven't touched the shape of it since I attached the horizontal stabiliser.

I also need to tweak the shape of the wing further, and add the aerodynamic profile to it. Hopefully I'll get this done over the weekend.

user added image

user added image

If anybody is interested, here are some reference images that I am using to help me shape the plane.

Google reference images

This one in particular is extremely good for the canopy/gun turret area.

BMS: Yes please, if you can find it. Any extra reference would be great.

Cheers,
Malcolm