Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 16-08-2007 , 06:47 AM

Fluid Explosion help

I'm working with one of the provided explosion animations. (running 8.5) I need it to fade away/dicipate, though, rather than sit there and smolder.

I've been through everything I can think of and I just don't know how to make it fade out. [For you Flash developers, essentially I'd like to "tween" it out to an alpha of 0%, if that makes sense]

Here's what I've got:

Render Menu: Paint Effects > Get Brush > Fluid Examples > Blast.ma

I just need it to last like 20 frames and fade out. Any help?

# 2 16-08-2007 , 06:52 AM
You could either key the opacity, or use the opacity bias which will fade it over time, that should do it.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 16-08-2007 , 06:55 AM
Thanks . . . that's what I'm looking for but I'm not entirely sure how to do it.

Sorry to be such a newbie at this--can you walk me through it (or point me in the right direction?)

I'm still looking through Help as we speak, but if you have a moment to give me an idea where to look that would be excellent.

Thanks either way!

# 4 16-08-2007 , 07:06 AM
Maybe I should clarify . . . I'm semi-proficient with other areas of Maya, and I've done a number of animations in the past. I've just never used anything like this "pre-fabricated" explosion.

So if I have a key frame in frame 137, and that's where I want the opacity to be set to 0, where can I access that node and change the opacity in that key frame, rather than in the entire object's attributes . . .

Am I making sense? Ugh. Hate being new at this.

# 5 16-08-2007 , 07:29 AM
Its in the shading section in the fluid shape attribute editor.

thinking about it you could just key the transparncy of the fluid, although it wont look like its dissapating correctly, thats where the opacity would come in (in my experiance)

the opacity is a graph that you adjust over time, so is the bias, have a fiddle with it with lots of playbacks, and you'll see what it does.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 16-08-2007 , 07:30 AM
Awesome, thanks!