Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 07-01-2009 , 10:10 AM

My Topology

Hey guys

This is my first time modelling a human head and I cant seem to get my topology the way i want it. I was hoping a few of you with more experience in these things could take a look and let me have your input. I have been at this for so long now im not sure if it's the topology that needs changing or its ok but i need to tweak the verts more ?? Any help would be awsome user added image!!!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 07-01-2009 , 01:20 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
first of all, you just need to keep doing it, the first head you make will probably suck, just like the rest of us.
don't believe me?
just look at the picture.
Second i want to say is that you work with to much poly's to start with, it's hard to tweak your model when the polycount get's higher.
i normally stay around 300/400 faces when roughing out the shape.
and last if you are trying to make a certain individual(selfportret perhaps?), it is best to first find as many pictures from different angles about them that you can get, so you can match your model with the pictures under certain angles and look what's off and what you got right.

Keep working on it and you will see it will get betteruser added image

Attached Images
# 3 07-01-2009 , 09:15 PM
hey thatsmybrand - as mastone said, definitely try to cut down on some of your geometry - it's a bit heavy at the moment - try to think about the shape of the face and place vertices where the direction changes. it's a lot harder to do that if you have too much geo - so either delete a few loops or start again. block out the basic shape before adding detail.

at the moment you've got too many loops going round the mouth and nose. also, you're not really getting the natural circular-type shape around the mouth and eyes. you need to work on the temples and cheek bones - this will really help make a head look right - on your model they are too far in. again, this is easier to fix with less geometry.

refs are essential - you need at the very least a good front, side and 3/4 view.

here's a head i'm working on at the moment. also check out the topology thread where there are a lot of good ideas / terminology discussed. user added image

https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=24483

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 08-01-2009 , 02:04 AM
Hey Guys

Thanks for the replies Arran and Mastone. I see what you mean Arran about how heavy my geo is and the flow around the cheek, temples and eyes, both your images helped heaps. I think I might just use this as a learning experience and start over trying to keep my geo low. By the way Arran how do you model do you start with a nurbs sphere then convert to poly/Sub-D. Ordo you do it some other way ?

-Andy

# 5 08-01-2009 , 02:20 AM
i usually start with a nurbs sphere that i try to get into the basic shape. i convert to polys almost straight away. i usually draw the eyes and mouth on very simply with the split polygon tool and then pull them in into the basic shape. start off with the side view and get it looking ok and then look at the front, or vice versa. don't add more geometry until you get the present level looking ok.

# 6 08-01-2009 , 03:53 AM
Ok cause thats the way I try to do it aswell. Thanks heaps for the advice and wireframe. I will have another crack at it keeping the geo as low as i can till the face starts to look good. You can never have to much practice.

- Andy

# 7 08-01-2009 , 03:57 AM
start a wip thread so we can see how you get on. user added image

# 8 09-01-2009 , 07:40 AM
Yeah Good idea Arran i have just put up a Wip thread with my new mesh both poly and sub D if you have a second check it out.

-Andy