Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 11-12-2009 , 03:59 AM

breath in cold air

hi, I have a project for class involving cold weather, and i wanted my character to have his breath showing for the close up scene. the rest would be moving too fast to see it so it can be a cheap quick effect. i am trying to do this with a 2d fluid and have it set up to look the way i want it, except i don't know how to make it pause for his breathing. currently its always emitting and i need it to pause for a moment. how would i go about doing this? is there a emitter speed attribute? i couldn't find one, though i may be blind. thanks for help in advanced.

# 2 11-12-2009 , 04:35 AM
There used to be a tutorial on this exact effect by a guy who had a site called "painfulurination.com".

Back in April of last year his site went down, HOWEVER I found it on the wayback machine for you.

Give it time to loaduser added image

LINK TO ARCHIVED BREATH VAPOR TUTORIAL

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 11-12-2009 , 04:55 AM
I just found the slider i need. but thanks for the tutorial. i will look through it and see if there is anything i can do better.

# 4 11-12-2009 , 05:54 PM
EduSciVis-er
There is a speed attribute (is that the one you found?) but it might make more sense to key the particles/sec emission rate, otherwise you'll have a bunch of particles building up right at the emitter while it's "off". Does that make any sense?