Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 08-06-2004 , 04:52 PM

Demo reel NO, no's

OK, I have been looking at a few lately because I have been curious. Here are two things I have noticed that really bugged me.

#1, If you are going to send a link to your site with your reel. make sure you pay for the site and the person who clicks on the link does not get their computer overrun with pop up Adds.

#2, Unless you are a music genious do not use Acid to make your own techno to go on your reel.

# 2 08-06-2004 , 06:47 PM
The Maya Mountain
#3, Lay off the Star Wars-ish spaceships and stuff.

#4, Keep the length of individual shots short. Don't dwell on a single model for too long.

# 3 08-06-2004 , 06:50 PM
Kevin
dont try and show something you cant do! If your a modeler then just show model, if an animator then just show your strengths as an animator

# 4 08-06-2004 , 08:06 PM
Don't put tutorial stuff on your reel. That's just plain stupid.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 5 08-06-2004 , 10:16 PM
If applying to Pixar, dont do a animation of Nemo.

A question... would stills of models made from tutorials be ok for a portfolio/sketchbook when applying to university.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 6 08-06-2004 , 10:28 PM
Subscriber
why not ? do they now ?

# 7 09-06-2004 , 08:24 AM

A question... would stills of models made from tutorials be ok for a portfolio/sketchbook when applying to university.

Yes that's fine.

#3, Lay off the Star Wars-ish spaceships and stuff

Unless they are really good, my boss is ex ILM and he gave someone a job after they modelled the Millenium Falcon to perfection.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB