Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 01-07-2005 , 04:04 PM

OK...which software for what????

Having just read the thread about asking stupid questions....(and I have been to all the sites and read MOST of the FAQS) I still am uncertain as to what software is used to generate these incredible graphics. Can someone please tell me (in a nutshell type explanation) what the differences between SimplyMaya, SimplyLightwave, SimplyPhotoshop, and SimplyMax are? Which do I need to start ?? Thanks in advance..

SimplyConfused...
user added image

# 2 01-07-2005 , 04:10 PM
Subscriber
Well simplyphotoshop is dead now anyway so just forget that one. But it's simply that simplymaya is for maya users https://www.alias.com , simplymax is for 3ds max users https://www.discreet.com and simplylightwave is for lightwave users. It's that simple.

# 3 01-07-2005 , 09:00 PM
3D Studio Max, Maya, Lightwave, SoftImage and Cinema 4D all do the same stuff. There maybe slight diffrences, but the results are the same.

I think Max is genrally used in the video games industery and Maya genrally in the film industery. Saying that, they used Max at Blur.

I think each of the mentioned software has there strengths, but I hard Maya seems to be the all round best.

It's really a matter of prefrence.

But remember, these are tool, your the artist user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 4 01-07-2005 , 09:18 PM
Subscriber
I've had a play with them all at somepoint and i'd say maya and softimage are the most user friendly. There's free versions of the both to download on their sites. Look for Maya PLE on the alias site and XSI Mod Tool on the softimage site.