Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 06-03-2006 , 10:14 PM

Joint orientation

Hey guys,

I am new to joint orientation and am really unfamiliar with the procedure. Is anyone experienced in it, or knows where I can find a tutorial that will help me out?

Thanks so much.

# 2 06-03-2006 , 11:55 PM
a real help for me understanding joint orientations was jason schleifer. also Jay told me quite a bit about it when I tried was trying to understand once. maybe you find something in an old thread of mine here

https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...g&pagenumber=7

most important thing is to understand which axis you set for the joint pointing down on it. play a lot with local rotation axis. maybe construct a very basic joint chain and experiment a lot. understanding joint orientation comes with practice - believe me! create joints and orient. click each button in the menu a hundred times. this is a good intuitive approach learning about orienting joints.

Jason Schleifer´s site -> www.jonhandhisdog.com

also tutorials from Alex Alvarez were very informative!

if you have a specific question later on, just ask.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 3 07-03-2006 , 03:43 AM
Hey I REALLY appreciate it. Thank you so much for your advice and comments, it is VERY helpful. I will go ahead and check out that thread.

Thanks again Falott

# 4 07-03-2006 , 08:27 AM
you´re welcome!

# 5 07-03-2006 , 10:25 AM

# 6 07-03-2006 , 04:23 PM
Awesome, I have checked it out it is very helpful. I will look it over in more detail. Thanks!