Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 61 02-08-2006 , 04:41 AM
and here is another shot from a different angle. As you can see I still need to build the ground plane and cliff face. Not sure how I am going to go about doing this...

Attached Thumbnails
# 62 02-08-2006 , 04:45 AM
And here is one more picture. I also have some pots with paint effects flowers that I was going to hang near the top of the main house, but everytime that I try to import them into my scene, they seem to move at a different speed than my move tool making it really difficult to place them... I tried duplicating them and deleting history, but no luck, so I may redo them later on.

Any comments or crits? user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by arran; 02-08-2006 at 04:49 AM.
# 63 02-08-2006 , 04:47 AM
Subscriber
Pretty! If only my buildings could come out as nice...:headbang:

# 64 02-08-2006 , 04:58 AM
Subscriber
Im definitley thinking that if all goes well, this is going to be one close competetion.

Keep up the great work!!:attn:

# 65 02-08-2006 , 05:02 AM
Hey - thanks a lot guys! user added image

Eldwick - your buildings are looking fine - this is my first attempt at buildings too - just keep adding details and don't forget to use that bevel tool on your edges!

# 66 02-08-2006 , 06:54 AM
Dude thats looking sweet!!

This will be kick ass once you get it textured!

For the Paint effects make the curve as close to the grid origin as possible as when you convert to polys and then center pivot, the pivot seems to stay at the origin???

At least that was a work round that I have had to do.

Nice going arran, you've got my vote so far!

# 67 02-08-2006 , 07:16 AM
Great job so far, and a very cool setup. Reminds me a little of the capsule villages from Dragon Ball z cartoons ( with all the buildings bunched up), although yours is done in a different style. Can't wait to see some textures and lighting for this.

# 68 02-08-2006 , 07:32 AM
Yeah man, lighting, thinking 2 suns with wild colours etc!

# 69 02-08-2006 , 07:49 AM
Subscriber
Hey there arran, I love what you're doing with this scene and how it's shaping up.

About the shadows or lack there of, if you're importing objects the lights should still cast shadows unless they are already linked to specific objects in the scene in which case it's just a matter of selecting the imported objects and linking them too.

Keep it up, looking forward to seeing some textures.

Cheers,

Mat.

edit: Thinking about it, if light linking was the problem then the object would not be lit in the render....unless the light that was linked to objects in the scene was the only one casting shadows. I hope that makes sense, sorry if I've confused issues.

Last edited by happymat27; 02-08-2006 at 08:14 AM.
# 70 02-08-2006 , 01:52 PM
Subscriber
Crit time....

Okay I am seeing something.

You are showing mulitple angles of this environment. Which is nice. However I believe that you are doing more work than is necessary. If you choose a camera angle that you like, you will find that there is a lot of stuff that you will not be seeing when it is finally rendered. Therefore there is no need to create objects and texture them when they will not even be in view of the camera frame.

Just a thought.

# 71 02-08-2006 , 06:09 PM
19 year Veteran
That work will pay off if he includes a few detail shots.

# 72 04-08-2006 , 08:42 PM
Hey everyone - thanks for all of the good words. Sorry for the late reply - I have spent the last couple of days dealing with pet problems and having to go to the dentist. gggrrrrr....

gster - yeah, thanks mate - I forgot about converting to polygons. I'll give that a shot. And I think you are right - two suns (or moons) might be the way to go. Not sure how to go about doing that - I guess a painted background...

cheers vizion - I have heard of Dragon Ball Z, but haven't seen it and didn't have much luck finding any pictures of the buildings. I used to read a ton of those sci fi novels with those cool 70s airbrush covers, so I guess those were the main inspiration.

Mat - thanks a lot mate - I think it does have something to do with how the lights are linked, but to be honest I haven't had a chance to look at it yet and don't have much experience with the connection editor. Cheers for pointing me in the right direction.

papalatistudios - thanks for the crit mate - it's much appreciated. I have been planning to go for a final shot probably from the same angle as the first of the three renders, with a few other detailed shots depending on time, as thx1138 and t1ck suggested . To be honest - I am just kind of enjoying creating lots of objects, placing them in a scene and then looking at them from different angles. Coming from a background in painting, it is just so cool to actually create a scene and look at it from where ever you want. I probably am shooting myself in the foot by creating lots of unnecessary objects, but i must admit, I am not so fussed about finishing in time - just having fun and learning stuff.

So, as I said, I haven't done much - I have just been cleaning up my hypergraph (what a mess!), UVing and trying to work out the landscape. At the moment I am having trouble creating a decent cliff face. Any ideas, or should I just pull out the split polygon tool and start hacking away?

Attached Thumbnails
# 73 12-08-2006 , 02:53 PM
Hello - here is a bit of an update. I have been UV mapping the various pieces and slowly adding textures. I must admit I am at a bit of a loss when it comes to texturing, so it is a bit hit and miss. I have a lot of overtime that I have to do over the next two weeks, so I am not sure how far I will be able to take this, but I am just going to keep plodding along until the end.

Attached Thumbnails
# 74 12-08-2006 , 02:54 PM
And here is another shot from above.

Attached Thumbnails
# 75 12-08-2006 , 02:55 PM
er - just ****ing around with vacuum guy...

Attached Thumbnails