Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 12-03-2008 , 03:48 AM

northern lights

heya.
I need to make some proper northern lights (aurora borealis). But I wouldn't know where to begin. Particles? Fluids?
Couldn't find any tutorials on the subject.....

Anyone got suggestions?

thanx!

'surf now, apocalypse later'
# 2 12-03-2008 , 06:15 AM
hi....i think you should play around with particles and then give a light a spot light with fog for the feel of that light.just particles may not help....just a suggestion. maybeyou can see the movie the polar express they have northern lights there.....might get some ideas.

cheers!

# 3 12-03-2008 , 06:30 AM
i'd make a loft between two squiggly CV curves to form a type of really wide ribbon of mesh, and then let the magic lie in the texture applied... turn up the transparency, and for the color, create a ramp that goes through the rainbow, animate the places where the colors change, etc.

Accept no substitutions.
# 4 09-04-2008 , 06:32 AM
Subscriber
There's a gnomon dvd called Rendering 4, light fog which has some cool effects that might be useful for you. From what I remember, you can map an animated caustic sequence to the colour on a spotlight with lightfog on it.