Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 27-05-2008 , 10:38 PM

hi.. have a question..

i am kinda new in maya... i downloaded the trial version from the official website...
i install the software in my computer... now here is my question.. when ever i try to open the software... it shows the loading screen ... and after some time it closes by itself..

here some details about my computer...

operating system.. Microsoft windows xp home edition(5.1, build 2600)
processor: Intel(r) Pentium(R) 4 cpu 2.50GHZ
memory: 480MB RAM
Graphics: SIS 650_651_M650_M652_740

can somebody please tell me why it's not loading user added image

# 2 28-05-2008 , 02:34 AM
Your graphics is by SiS?

From memory, they are a maker of integrated graphics, so that is most likely the problem. Maya runs best on a dedicated graphics card.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 3 28-05-2008 , 04:29 AM
Senior Software Developer
I would also point out that you have under 1/2Gb of RAM. This will also pose a problem for Maya, when you have other apps running. Maya 2008 takes about 275Mb of RAM to launch, with you only having 480 (512Mb) for RAM available. This may cause the exe to close due to a lack of resource available to run.

Remeber your OS will take RAM from you as soon as it can and this will reduce any RAM available to you.

I would recommend at least 2Gb or RAM to allow Maya to run smoothly, 1Gb would be sufficient, but you will find it will be slower to work.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 29-05-2008 , 07:00 PM
thxzz ....
one more question... will 3d max work on my computer?

# 5 29-05-2008 , 08:57 PM
I don't think it will - with the reason being the integrated graphics again. You don't need a high end card if you are starting Maya - any newish graphics card these days should work. Adding some cheap RAM is also a good idea as R@nSiD pointed out, they sell Kingston 512 MB DDR2 for $35 where I live.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 6 30-05-2008 , 04:34 AM
Subscriber
3d max requires less memory in most cases than maya however on my 3 gig system, I usually only have 2 gigs free when I have a blank max screen open and my OS running.

So chances are you're going to need some work done to your pc if you want to get one of these apps going.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”