Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 17-06-2009 , 04:46 AM
EduSciVis-er

Super Villain: Dr. Mel Ishis - Stwert

So with some trepidation, I'm entering this challenge and have decided to model your typical (in some ways) evil scientist bent on world domination and retribution.
I've also decided to take Dango's good advice and create a semblance of a back-story to round out my character that is only just beginning to form in my head.
--------------------
Having been mocked about his stature for years by his taller coworkers, the diminutive but brilliant Dr. Mel Ishis PhD. has finally turned on the Institute for Scientific Discoveries and Academic Thought for the Origins of Kinetics (I.S.D.A.T.O.K.) and its population of narrow-minded and petty scientists along with the whole planet by extension (and further pettiness). Using his background in kinetics, Dr. Mel Ishis has drawn up plans for an intelligent weapon with the capacity to destroy life as we know it (leaving, incidentally, the millions of uncharacterized organisms on earth virtually unscathed). Unbeknownst to all, in his aboveground lair, the evil doctor tinkers away with tungsten, neon, stainless steel, animal tissue, and used television sets. Finally, he steps back in awe (and so that he can see more than just the bottom of it). He has done it at last. Dr. Mel Ishis has determined the fate of our race; he has created...
---------------
...well I'm not sure exactly what yet, so I'll leave you hanging there. Now I'm going to start some concept sketches. I'm thinking I'll be attempting a cartoony sort of style, mostly because I'm scared to try a realistic hominid.
Good luck to all the contestants!

PS I reserve the right to change my mind and create a completely different sort of villain should this idea fail me.

# 2 18-06-2009 , 04:59 AM
EduSciVis-er
Here's some little sketches I did this evening for Dr. Mel Ishis. I haven't really used my tablet in a long time, so it was kinda fun to play around with sketching. I'm not really a very good artist, so apologies for the not really very good sketches, but it's at least a start to the project.
C & C welcome of course.

Updates to the character as I drew some stuff:
Dr. Ishis cut off his hands (one by one) and replaced them with robotic mechanisms for the increased precision and strength necessary to build a weapon of mass destruction (the style for the hand was kind of inspired by the Coraline super villain mom lady).
Through years of neglect, the evil doctor's lab coat has become torn, stained, patched, and burnt by sharp objects, chemicals, sewing machines, and bunsen burners, respectively.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 18-06-2009 , 07:07 AM
Subscriber
dude... can i borrow your brain so i can use your drawing skills?

he's so shrimpy and little, no wonder he's evil :p (i am joking of course)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 4 19-06-2009 , 04:16 PM
EduSciVis-er
Well, since monkey99 is now doing a little evil scientist with robotic parts... :p
I feel like switching up my project with something else so there's not two of similar things (and I also feel like his would end up better looking... user added image ).

Now to think of what to do...

# 5 19-06-2009 , 04:57 PM
EduSciVis-er
Ok, I'm going to do a bomb technician. No one else do a bomb technician. user added image
I'll come up with a back story later on and maybe some more sketches.

# 6 20-06-2009 , 11:11 PM
EduSciVis-er
I've finished a couple little concept sketches for my new bomb-maker (and user) guy, but I won't post them, cause honestly they're not very good and were just to get me started. The back-story is as follows:

Dr. Mel Ishis (I may as well keep the same name since that's what the thread is entitled) was a bomb defuser working for the government, ridding the planet of undefused (fused?) bombs left over from earth's many wars. As so often happens, good became evil through an unfortunate accident. A particularly tricky device that Mel was working on one day had a secondary tamper explosive that detonated without warning, sending a small fragment of metal through the doctor's brain, leaving him alive, but psychologically altered.

Dr. Ishis' prefrontal cortex was irreparably damaged, distorting his decision making processes and giving rise to a villain with a terrifying knowledge of explosive weaponry and no sound judgment to harness it.

He has since replaced his hands with mechanical tools to assist him in his work, and carries his "shop" with him wherever he goes.

Right now he could be anywhere; crouched under a bridge, on the roof of a skyscraper, or in your very basement...

Now I really need to get started on the actual modelling. Lots of cool ideas so far in the challenge. It'll be fun to see where everyone ends up!

# 7 03-07-2009 , 02:21 AM
EduSciVis-er
Alright, it's been a while... I did do a proper concept sketch (on paper) for my super villain, which I'm reasonably happy with.

However, after I started the modelling process, I realized that I think I need a bit more practice with the whole organic thing. I'm in the middle of doing some tutorials and I'd like to spend some time on drawing, learning form, color, composition, all the stuff that I've never properly learned.

So, I think I'm going to withdraw from this competition for now (not that I was a real contender user added image ). I don't like being a quitter, but I think having too many things to work on is a bit of an obstacle for me to do any of the things... maybe others can relate... user added image

Anyways, good luck all you guys with the rest of the competition, some of the entries are really coming along well!