Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 05-12-2003 , 09:24 PM

RAID 1 on an existing volume?

I know this isnt a tech support for RAID, but I'm bored and messing with a computer. I have 2 80 gig hard drives, and a motherboard that supports RAID. If i already have a volume setup on one of the hard drives, do I need to blow it out and start over to use Raid 1 or is there a way to have it copy everything from the existing drive to the new one on its own?

I didn't think i should post it in the tech support section, because it wasn't Maya related.. But correct me if I was wrong user added image

Just figured someone in here has to be RAID savvy enough to answer that question. As for as i know you have to start from scratch, but I know very little about RAID (First time using it). The only problem is it will be a pain in the butt to backup that drive, but not impossible, just trying to think of easier ways.. Anyway, again, only curious. I tweek stuff and do weird things when bored. :bgreen: user added image user added image

eat the corn--
# 2 08-12-2003 , 08:44 PM
Well i think the first question to ask yourself is why do you need to have a RAID setup? You only have two drives. It's not going to improve your speed if that's what you're trying to accomplish. Fo that, you'll need SCSI drives. A RAID ( Redundant Array of Independent Drives) is basically for file storage with lots of drives connected.

but considering I probably know as much about RAIDs as you do, I coul dbe wrong. But from what I do know, that's just about right.user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 3 09-12-2003 , 12:10 AM
RAID 1 isnt for making it go faster its for backing up all of your files automaticaly.

How ever if what you ARE trying to do is make it write 1/2 file on one, an 1/2 on another, making it go twice as fast, then thats RAID 0.

Either way, you have to clear them and start a new array to do it.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 4 09-12-2003 , 12:48 AM
Subscriber
and don't they need to be on a RAID controler ? I meen the IDE contections will not work will they ?

# 5 09-12-2003 , 03:19 AM

Re: RAID 1 on an existing volume?

Originally posted by neoarcadia
and a motherboard that supports RAID.

I take that as he has built in RAID. If you dont have it built in, jstu one that supports the card, then you need the card. Unless you do software RAID, but that is a bad idea!

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!