Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 27-04-2004 , 08:02 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Doc Rob

No Way Dude, that would be a waste. Hey I notice your'e from London, where? I work there!! Are you going to the Alias, Lord of the Rings evening tomorrow at Leicester Square?

# 17 27-04-2004 , 08:08 PM
I'm living in thamesmead in south east london. Would be great to got to the event but working. Next time somthing comes up i'll have to go.

# 18 27-04-2004 , 08:11 PM
Oh Dartford Way, sort of!! Maybe 3december event then!!

# 19 27-04-2004 , 08:13 PM
Yeh defo user added image

# 20 03-05-2004 , 10:52 AM
thats what i call NICE!

oh....
Im a DeMoN called illidian.
# 21 03-05-2004 , 11:48 AM
Thank you, I didn't think people were still looking at this as its been around for a while now

Thanks Again

Jango

# 22 15-05-2004 , 09:15 PM
Man that looks great. I can't wait to see what else you have cooking. Just wondering what did you do to get started with maya. I am a beginner and I would really like to learn how to do stuff like that. My email is PappaK69@bellsouth.net. If you could email me and let me know what i could do to get started that would be great. Thanks for you time and thanks for sharing your great work.

# 23 15-05-2004 , 09:37 PM
Hi Ralph

Thanks for your nice comments, I appreciate it. So your a newbie huh to Maya and you want to learn more. Well my advice first and it may sound a bit stupid but you just really need to learn the basics first. It sounds obvious I know but the problem is, when people see good work they go 'Oh wow I'd love to do that!!!' and then find its a bit of a mountain to climb and give up because they're trying to do something thats beyond their skills at that point in time, believe me I've done it!!!

I would tinker around with simple tutorials from sites like this, there are plenty of good people here to help too or you can try www.Learning Maya.com they have tons of stuff there. Also www.Alias.com they have lots of advice too.

The main thing is to enjoy yourself too!! I literally breathe Maya 24/7 cos I've been using it at work every day for the last 4 years, so I know a bit about it. It will get frustrating at times when stuff isn't going right. Also get plenty of reference for your models ,anything from a-z, but good reference is essential!!! Also try and start with low - medium res modelling, people can over do it with polys at times too. Also plan ahead , it can save you hrs of work.

I sit down and draw stuff most of the time before I even touch the Pc. The pic of the Sheriff was actually done last february would you believe and so was the Alien that is also on this forum.

I hope this helps you in your quest!!!
Good luck. Anything else you need to ask... do!!

Jango

# 24 01-06-2004 , 04:00 PM
Subscriber
Holy shit!! veeeeeery nice! user added image

# 25 01-06-2004 , 05:04 PM
Thanks

I didn't think this was being viewed still.

Jango

# 26 05-06-2004 , 06:53 PM
ver nice *claps* was that all done in maya?

# 27 05-06-2004 , 10:44 PM
Subscriber
not as sweet as the girl, but for obvious reasons...
still good, nay, great work....
more?

is there good money in workng with maya? i peek'd at your profile!!!

cheers again - M

MURPH
# 28 06-06-2004 , 09:14 AM
Hi Murph

HAHAHa.....Well as with everything in life you have to start at the bottom or whatever level you are at and work your way up. I have worked my arse off for the last four years doing 3d and learning as much as I can.

I have just changed jobs as I wanted to be my own man, and not have other people tell me what to do but ask 'what can we do?'
So now I'm working with 4 other guys, 2 who came with me from the previous place and its really cool, we're not working around the clock anymore but we still have deadlines as you do and always will.
Basically the answer to your question is yes the money is good, its even better if you're an animator or programmer, I'm doing a bit of everything so my hands are full right now.
But I dont do it for the money even though it helps, you have to love what you do or it becomes pointless!!!

Sorry if this is a long answer.......

Jango

# 29 06-06-2004 , 01:51 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jango
Sorry if this is a long answer.......

not at all, i/we all need people to give us good Gen.

Im time expired, in three yrs, and was thinking of this as a new employment/carreer path...

so three years - head down, and learn a bit more than just "nurbs" then... user added image

(there should be a forum about the benefits and downfalls of employment w.r.t. CG)

THANX M8!

M

MURPH
# 30 06-06-2004 , 03:09 PM
Hey Murph

What are you doing then at the moment, college, uni or what??

You dont necessarily have to learn everything, dont forget big production houses are split into different depts ie; modelling, animation, rendering etc. So pick one maybe.

Its a good idea to start a thread for advice for guys or gals alike who wanna get in there, I might do that now.

Where in UK are you situated

Jango