Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 08-07-2004 , 11:34 PM

Again, an Image plane problem.

Hi!

Sorry to all of you SimplyMaya experts, you must be getting tired with all these Image plane question user added image .

Well anyhow, my problem is that I´m one of those with a ATI card and gets a sluggish computer when working with Image planes. I´ve searched this forum and found out that you referred to a free tutorial on how to set up an image plane (the shark tutorial) using poly planes instead. I followed that and and it works great, I can actually move CV´s now user added image.
My question is that if I wanna model an object, moving CV´s, hull or whatever, I would like to press 4 and go into wireframe mode without Image planes disappering and then press 5 to smooth shade all. Now as it is, I´m only able to work with an object thats shaded. I´m sure it´s easy to fix and I`m sure I will feel really stupid when you tell me to "hit that key" :o , but I hope you guys understand what I mean and can help me.

PS. I know I´m a newbie, you dont have to point that out and remind me. :p
Thanks in advance

# 2 08-07-2004 , 11:49 PM
The Maya Mountain
Actually, the way I do this takes a little monkeying around, so don't feel too bad. user added image

First, under the Shading > Shading Options menu, I turn on "Wire on Shaded." (The shading menu is in your view port and not at the top of the screen with the rest of the menus.

Then, apply a material to your object, like a new lambert, and make the transparancy of the material all the way down. Now, the geometry is invisible, but the wire is still visible.

I generally make a Set Driven Key control to make it easier going back and forth to the material attributes.

Good luck!