Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 10-02-2010 , 12:24 AM

wireframe on selected?

does anybody know if its possible to do a something like smooth shade on selected in reverse. so the only what you select and are working on is in wire frame. currently i create a second lambert and set the transparency to full and wireframe on shaded to true. any chance of a mel command that does what i want?

# 2 10-02-2010 , 06:13 AM
Subscriber
There are several mel scripts out there that i use for these type of things.
you can toggle wire frame on selected with mel scripts.
you can toggle x-ray on selected object with them,
there is one out that that will let you select objects without seeing the highlighted wire frame.
There is also a script out there that will make the selected object render wire only, which i think is what you were talking about, i personally don't use that one, so i cant remember the name of it. but they are all at Creative crash.com under mel scripts for maya. And i believe those woudl be in the Interface section of the mel scripts library they have there.

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 3 10-02-2010 , 05:34 PM
i'm looking for a script that lets me pick an object in the viewport and have it display wired there for working with reference images.

# 4 10-02-2010 , 06:55 PM
Subscriber
I must be misunderstanding the question then, OF the object is selected, by default the wire frame is shown. Why would you need a mel script, or a shader that does this?

If i am misunderstanding the question i apologize ahead of time.

g-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 5 10-02-2010 , 08:58 PM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
I think what he is asking for is this

When turing on wirefram all objects get wireframe turned on not just the one selected, is there away to just make your selected object show the wireframe even when it is not selected without all the other objects having their wireframe show also.

# 6 10-02-2010 , 10:24 PM
EduSciVis-er
I think he means wireframe as in mode 4, versus wireframe on shaded, which is what happens by default when in mode 5,6,7 (for lack of better names).

# 7 11-02-2010 , 05:10 AM
i want something like the picture. in this picture i had to turn "wireframe on shaded" on and create a work material that has full transparency. is there a way to do this in mel without all the setup? like the opposite of "smooth shade selected" a "wireframe selected"

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 11-02-2010 , 08:18 PM
Subscriber
ohh, ok i gt it now.
Nope, sorry mate, i don't know of a mel script that will do that.
Though i'd think it wouldn't be hard to write a mel script that will create a shader that has the wire frame to true and transparency set all the way up, and toggle that shader and the default shader back and forth.

May-haps one of the scripters on the forum can write one up real fast? I don't script myself, or i'd give it a go.

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!