Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 31 18-04-2003 , 02:24 AM
Subscriber
GOD i love photoshop = ) Actually looks really good, see I couldn't see that B4 = P
<--------------------EDIT--------------------->

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2

Last edited by Vectorman; 18-04-2003 at 09:00 AM.
# 32 18-04-2003 , 02:52 AM
maybe you could rotate a little up so we can see more of the top of the head.

# 33 18-04-2003 , 05:28 AM
Subscriber
that was a pic i adjusted in photoshop (same as his above pic, with less contrast)

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
# 34 18-04-2003 , 08:48 AM
Subscriber
i'm trying to stall, so i don't have to start texturing it yet. I"M afraid.

C&C guys! (I added a bottom eyelid, none of my refs seem to contain a top one)

HOW did the eye come out? I had a pretty original way to do it, just not sure if it worked real well.

Last edited by Vectorman; 18-04-2003 at 08:55 AM.
# 35 18-04-2003 , 08:55 AM
Kevin
Vectorman - good start dude! are you doing a whole body or just a head?

# 36 18-04-2003 , 08:56 AM
Subscriber
THANKs Kev!

um yah i should do the body.........

M what happened to keeping that tourny image updated? lol i thought it was a neat idea.

Last edited by Vectorman; 18-04-2003 at 09:05 AM.
# 37 18-04-2003 , 10:37 AM
eeewwwwww, very nice,, and real wicked looking...

Oh go for it, you will do great....(on the UV)

and NO it is NOT me on the Devils neck.... there would be one dead Pony...LOL

"Si vis pacem para bellum" if you desire peace, prepare for war.
# 38 18-04-2003 , 11:09 AM
Subscriber
Hay vector, The eyes look 100% better now! I know they were just place holders befor but you did really good with this set of eyes.. they look damn meen even on there own..

You can do the body befor the UV's.. don't wory man. the UV's will not bit nearly as bad as this critter looks like he can.. I have found some of the worst stumbling blocks to UV's are they leave out simple damn steps.. like how to even find the UV texture editer !!! I meen you can map out uv's and not even see what the hell your doing.. but anyway.. enufe of a rant.. umm some one posted a bunch of tutorails on my challenge thread.. should look at the bunny head vid on hear.. its really good.. and .. well besides that one. you might have to go through a cuple of them to get the idea all peaced together..

it should be pritty eazy on this model you have though.. its ripe for eazy UV's !! just keep your polys simple.. ..

I meen hell for this guy .. you know what.. I wouldn't UV map !! I would use the 3d texture painter in maya.. sure you could come up with something neat.. besides the ref pic looks a little cartoony anyway.. witch is a good look for this one I think.. but thats just me..

# 39 18-04-2003 , 11:10 AM
Subscriber
OH yeah but I forgot to mention.. you love photo shop and I think if you could texture this meen critter in photoshop it would be a really good thing..

# 40 18-04-2003 , 04:13 PM
Subscriber
Lol, yea... vectorman.. i dont think many are looking at it that often as its a link you have to click on user added image. Anyways, i was pretty busy the last couple days.. i should be able to keep it quite up to date from now on. BTW, eyes look much better user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 41 18-04-2003 , 06:35 PM
Subscriber
Well, i worked on this for a while and this is what i have so far, its smoothing out and then i have to work on the eyes, nose, ears.. etc. One problem, its been raining here for a week or 2, so the grass is REALLY long... I may have to go out and cut it when its super long and very wet (what a horrible job, seeing my lawn is huge)... eh, well.... i will see what i can get done on this user added image. Hope you dont think im inactive vectorman

# 42 18-04-2003 , 08:25 PM
Subscriber
Sorry, I forgot to attach the last image user added image.. well 2 hours later and this is what i have so far user added image.

# 43 18-04-2003 , 08:28 PM
Subscriber
wow, looking good M ! keep it up user added image

God Bless you and 3D
# 44 18-04-2003 , 10:27 PM
Subscriber
Thanks GC user added image. I am so stressed right now though.. its been raining like i said for the last week or 2.. so the grass in my yard is so long! Anyways, i have to cut it now with the lawnmower.. i spent 2 hours already just hackin away at grass, and it kept jamming.. then i had to take off the side and start spraying it out, even then it is jamming, the thing is.. this is the best lawnmower that is on the merge of the seating ones, and the walking ones and it cant do this density of grass. Now i just went around the flagpole and the handle that you have to push got caught on the bolt and the whole handle came off.. then you need huge ammounts of force to get this thing back on. Anyways, im killing myself here.. i came in for a break and now i am back out again for probably another 2 hours, because i have to finish this grass, then go over it again to clear up the mess.. then i have to do the front in the same stupid process >:|. Grrr, that is if i can even fix this thing. So, very.. stressed user added image.

But yea it still needs a lot of tweaking around the mouth and it still needs a nose and ears.. but the head is coming along user added image. So, i should have some more updates tonight if i get some time to work on it.

# 45 18-04-2003 , 10:41 PM
hey M. the head looks great.
btw. this kind of animal is from the anime digimon.