Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 61 18-11-2003 , 04:09 PM
Subscriber
I thought you all might like to see the skeleton on the horse now.. I think I might of put to many bones through the back and neck. Maybe even the tail.
But the tail is really that long.. and there are really 2 pivot points in the knee of a horse. LOL
Couple of extra bones for the ears.. easiest way to animate them.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Pony; 18-11-2003 at 04:17 PM.
# 62 18-11-2003 , 11:09 PM
Subscriber
That knee rotation is looking sweet Pony!
The rig looks great, rigging is not my strongest area by a longshot, could you give me a quick explanation as to why there are two sets of joints for the jaw? does it make the set up and anim of that area easier?

# 63 19-11-2003 , 01:20 AM
Subscriber
I put 2 there because if I do anything with the mouth, horses have just as much side to side action as they do up and down, in the mouth. like for chewing, etc.. I thought it would be easier to make it look right with some bones there close to each side. I also was hoping it will make it easier to have the neck, and skin where it connects and goes under the jaws look right, and deform a bit more relaxed. I didn't want a lot of shear on the polys right under the jaw, which is what I think would happen with just one.

Last edited by Pony; 19-11-2003 at 04:45 AM.
# 64 19-11-2003 , 01:25 AM
Subscriber
Hey, this is looking great so far pony. I love how your building the bone structure through a picture of a horse's bones user added image. Nice. Cant wait to see the final product.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 65 19-11-2003 , 02:48 AM
Subscriber
Explained it very nicely, thanks Pony!

# 66 19-11-2003 , 09:14 AM
Subscriber
I was working on the UV map, and seen this. desided to post it becouse it reminds me so much of a rase horse. you know with the numbers and bright colors on the sides of them so you can tell which one is which easaly ?

anyway.. the UV's are out flat.. but there not even sown together yet so don't wory this is buy fart the finished UV map.

Attached Thumbnails
# 67 19-11-2003 , 08:37 PM
Subscriber
Awesome and insipering stuff Pony. Can I put £5 on each way? user added image

www.snipersupplies.co.uk
# 68 20-11-2003 , 01:09 AM
Subscriber
lonepig... yep, sure. I got you down for 5 each way..

working on the painted textue.
and fur I'm having a time with getting it to smoth shade and shadow !

eyes keep comeing up to dark.

Attached Thumbnails
# 69 20-11-2003 , 02:18 AM
Subscriber
the output window render time do not include fur render time !user added image

# 70 20-11-2003 , 03:01 AM
Subscriber
first atempt at fur. The UV map needs work, and I still need to do fur attribute maps..
750,000 hairs.
screen shot.
https://members.cox.net/pony2012/LOTR023.jpg

render, I'm not sure if I'm going to like the results. besides it takes forever to render even with just one light. Would hate to try this with GI_Joe.. no wait thats a idea.. yeah yeah.. I'll go do that..

Attached Thumbnails
# 71 20-11-2003 , 03:45 AM
Subscriber
Good luck mate!

I once made a deer, nurbs patch modell with fur and the render times weren't pretty. Best thing I can suggest is to keep the hair amount low while test rendering and bump it up as you get closer to the finnished maps.

# 72 20-11-2003 , 04:20 AM
Subscriber
Well I think I will try going for just painting the fur in the texture map.. to be honest I don't think it looks that good, it sure doesn’t look good enough to justify the render times.. I know I know .. I haven't got the settings down good yet.. but with 10 times the amount of render time I don't think I have the processing power for what I eventually want to do. So for right now.. it will not be furred with the Fur engine.

Besides it looks like plastic fur. I want to try for better.

# 73 20-11-2003 , 01:30 PM
Subscriber
great horse user added image

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" A.Einstein
# 74 21-11-2003 , 01:28 PM
Subscriber
I think that's a wise step Pony.
Looking at your work so far, I'm sure you'll make a great job on the texture map anyway user added image Plus if you are planning to animate, the fur would have been a nightmare to render. If you change your mind, there are loads of good tips on fur at the Alias site.

Looking forward to seeing the textures.

# 75 21-11-2003 , 02:48 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Chris.
also on FURther thoughts. Horses hair is some pretty fine stuff. There are so many, its very short. Normally. yes, in the winter time they look shaggy. but baby its not winter where I model. So unless its a close up I will def stick to texture..

speaking of texturing.. I am most of the way through on the parameterization mapping. I think that’s what its called.. making sure the UV is laid out with out stretching the texture.

I haven't done this part before so if anyone notices anything, please let me know. I havent got the legs done all the way yet. or the ears. but I have enough to see if I'm doing things right. Mike let me know ??
BTW don't know if this is a bad thing but I got some of the texture pinched in a couple of places. I did that so I would have less seems, as I was thinking the stretching is what I want to avoid most right ?? fellas ?? ladies ??

Attached Thumbnails