Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-02-2005 , 08:58 AM

Defining a door on a polygon model

Hi,
This is my first attempt at a car, and I'm stuck because I'm, not sure how to definne the door without extruding the faces and making it look awful. Are there any good ways of doing it?

Thanks for any help

Simon

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-02-2005 , 02:35 PM
try extracting it and then if it doesnt show move it a bit inwards tht should look like its a seprate piece

https://www.imageocean.net/
Free Photo Hosting!
# 3 25-02-2005 , 06:30 AM
Subscriber
errr maybe you can use split polygon, and move the edges that pertain to the door a tad out?

# 4 28-02-2005 , 06:08 PM
Subscriber
Move the edges on the door where they need to be in relation to the actual place where the door is not connected to the body. If you have to, make a split in the area.

Then select the door panel and extract it. Then select one set of edges like for the front most part of the door and move them back just slightly to show a gap. Then on the same edges, extrude them in a tad to show "thickness". Do the same for both sides of the door (front and rear) as well as the sets of edges that you extracted away from.

Then in sub-d, select those same edges again (4 sets) and perform a couple creases on it to pop them into shape.

Car looks nice!

"Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn’t have time to build it to scale or to paint it"
:: Dr. Emmett Brown