Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 08-02-2007 , 05:12 AM
Subscriber

/--my dissapearing building!

hey guys
im trying to create holes in a building i made ready for windows, in as simple a way as possible. the best method i can think of, is to use the boolean method, as it has worked on other things in the file. for some reason when i try to do so on the building, the entire building dissapears.

option 1- i could do it another way, with your help and adsvice

OR

option 2- if you could perhaps explain what i can do to make the boolean method work, i could do so using that.

user added image

thanx user added image

# 2 08-02-2007 , 06:12 AM
hmmmmm!

it seems lot of people are having problems with Boolean

try deleting history before you boolean

Maya is simple, but only if you believe it
# 3 08-02-2007 , 06:18 AM
Subscriber
*sigh*

noope, didnt work.

ive also tried closing all of the holes, and removing intersecting objects.

any more suggestions?

# 4 08-02-2007 , 06:39 AM
Boolians are really buggy, sometimes they work fine and other times they dont, not too sure fir the reasons, could be normals facingthe wrong direction to the boolian, anyway for your problem, I would try and make some geo for the windows, via the split poly tool or extruding then deleting the faces where you want the window to be.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 08-02-2007 , 08:16 AM
Subscriber
*sigh*
i suppose i could. it's just take forever is all

# 6 08-02-2007 , 10:37 AM
ah it happening to me also!!

:angery: AutoDesk:angery:

# 7 09-02-2007 , 01:53 PM

Originally posted by DotNet54
ah it happening to me also!!

:angery: AutoDesk:angery:

It aint Autodesk, the boolian's and dissaperaring objects has been there prior to them taking it over, it used to happen to me using Version 6, and probably to people before that, the lesson to learn it DONT use them, model it, you will get better geometry flow and control over your model, when you come to animate/uv map and texture.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 8 09-02-2007 , 01:57 PM

Originally posted by gster123
It aint Autodesk, the boolian's and dissaperaring objects has been there prior to them taking it over, it used to happen to me using Version 6, and probably to people before that, the lesson to learn it DONT use them, model it, you will get better geometry flow and control over your model, when you come to animate/uv map and texture.

but i like booleans, they are so easy for me!user added image user added image :shakehead user added image user added image

# 9 09-02-2007 , 03:26 PM
instead, use the split poly tool, create some new edges, move the resulting verts to where you want the window to be, delete the face, and using the append to polygon tool, create faces to fill the gap between the inner and outer wall. (assuming you created similar holes on both sides of the wall user added image)

Accept no substitutions.
# 10 09-02-2007 , 04:18 PM
Subscriber
ived had my fair share of boolean problems alot ...

i dont know if this would help in your situation, but sometimes try make sure that the peice you are booleaning to is clean like all the verticles to that peice are attached to another one istead of having one hanging around if you get what i mean...

# 11 09-02-2007 , 11:11 PM
make sure you have edges that connect to the corners of the window. It will help stabalize the geometry. A simply way to do this is to place the cut out shape and draw and x with split poly throuhg the box. A floating hole os a problom for any 3d application.

# 12 10-02-2007 , 12:00 AM
Subscriber
well, after alot of hours, i added heaps of windows using the deleting faces and append polygons tool

thanx for the help guys user added image