Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 07-03-2008 , 04:56 PM
Subscriber

What is the importance of render layers?

Hey guys. I have some question on render layers.
I'm sure I've forgotten things but please bear with me.
We were supposed to learn about render layers, and their importance and how to properly use them in school. But we got shortchanged to say the least and our teacher doesn't know what they are...
I've done a lot of research and read tutorials, on how to use/create them but nothing on their significance or importance to either one's work flow or a companies pipeline.

So I guess if I could start with one major question,
What is the importance of render layers?

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 2 07-03-2008 , 05:11 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
The main thing with renderlayers is that you can split up your render as it were.
Because most of the time the one or ones responsible for the look of a film/short you name it, want to do some colorgrading(adjusting colors so they look nice together).
You can also easily use another background for the render or adjust the shape/size of the background, to achieve better composition.
And there are probably a couple more reasons why you should render out in layers, but i think this is the main thing
So there you have it.

(Crappy school then by the way-if the teacher doesn't know stuff like this-)

# 3 07-03-2008 , 08:14 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mastone
(Crappy school then by the way-if the teacher doesn't know stuff like this-)

Uhh yeah, the course outline and everything looked good when we signed up. But it now appears that our teacher doesn't know half of the stuff we were supposed to get. For example, we were supposed to be introduced to Zbrush. Our teacher doesn't know it, so they didn't even buy it...
Anyways myself and another are in the process of trying to get money back for the hefty price tag of $16,500 seems FAR too steep now. But that is an ongoing practice.
Thanks for the summation on render layers. It is much better knowing what I am missing.

As odd as it may sounduser added image

Arch Viz Reel

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 4 08-03-2008 , 07:05 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
For that price are a lot of better schools available, just quite this one ask your money back(by court if necesarry) and go to a better school

# 5 08-03-2008 , 09:39 AM
Subscriber
would you happen to have any idea of what in the Toronto area, or what online courses I can do that would be of such nature?
I am fighting for reimbursement for material that was not covered and is not being covered but what we were told would be.

So if I can get the appropriate amount back, I can learn the stuff on my time and get what I need while still getting my diploma and job placement assistance.

If you know of anything which might apply to me please let me know! I greatly appreciate it.

Arch Viz Reel

# 6 08-03-2008 , 02:06 PM
where do you go now?

perhaps you could take some courses at sheridan's oakville campus

# 7 08-03-2008 , 02:16 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
You should take them too court if they dont budge
if your stories true you should win easily, if you can find over pupils too back you up

# 8 08-03-2008 , 02:20 PM
Subscriber
@mcrae44 - the problem with sheridan is that they are post-graduate animation classes. So until I have some form of post secondary diploma that is out of the question.

A resolution with the school has been made so all is well. Thanks for the info though everyone.

Arch Viz Reel