Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 14-06-2009 , 09:39 PM
Subscriber

VF-1s Valkyrie

Hey all,

So my Hnk Final draft needs work so instead of trying to kill myself making a final version I decided to move on to a new project while I take my time with finishing the gun (an probably using it as part of a larger project when I start modeling people.

So to keep practing I'm starting a VF-1 type S Valkyrie from the old Macross series.

I've already been at it for about 5 hours now and had several restarts (the fueselage is kicking my tail) but I'm happy with how the third attempt is turning out so here it is. The picture is of a quick and dirty duplicate/combine/smooth so there is a crease in the center where the verts aren't merged and the texture is very temporary as I continue to play with my render settings.

I'm going for a high detailed but not photorealistic finish. Which brings me to my question for the forums. The references I have show a lot of lines and paneling that can be added to really increase the detail. Is this something I should work into the model or save for bump mapping. I'm leaning towards cutting/adding verts to the model but don't want to destroy the topology too bad. Any advice will be appreciated.

Anyway back to work for me! (I'm so slow because I'm new user added image )

Attached Thumbnails

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 2 14-06-2009 , 10:48 PM
mmm, I'd say it depends on the panel. Some of the really big details should probably be polyed (although I have a dendency to want to do everything poly). The smaller stuff could be bump-mapped, or maybe displacement mapped.

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 3 15-06-2009 , 04:07 PM
Lifetime Member
Gonna keep an eye on this one! I'm a huge Macross / Robotech fan!

If you're going for any realism, I'd try and do the detail in polys. It just looks so much nicer in clay renders!

Good luck!

-Jacques

Poly-pushing on a '96 SGI O2
# 4 16-06-2009 , 05:34 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the advice Xander and Halfloaf. I'll hopefully post some renders of my next stage of progress (I'm at work right now 'working hard'). I'm going to give myself the week to finish modeling and getting the texture maps ready while I start a concept for the supervillian challenge!

# 5 18-06-2009 , 03:35 AM
Subscriber
Here is another update, the top is nearly done and building it in segments allows for the major sections to stick out. I imagine if I can do a decent job with texturing some wear/weathering around the major areas it might not look too bad.

Good thing is after the fueselage the other sections are coming along nicely. Which is good because due to work I haven't had much time to put in more than half an hour or so in the last few days :headbang:

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 15-07-2009 , 02:59 AM
Subscriber
Hey All its been awhile but here is the update to my VF1. The modeling for this one is done and I'll be starting on the fast pack variant after I begin texturing.

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 15-07-2009 , 03:01 AM
Subscriber
second update

Attached Thumbnails

# 8 15-07-2009 , 07:10 PM
Lifetime Member

Sweet!

Cool! Lovely stuff. Will you be able to transform it? Think set driven key would work great here!!!

-Jacques

Poly-pushing on a '96 SGI O2
# 9 20-07-2009 , 10:20 PM
Subscriber
I was toying with making it transform but I think this iteration of the model won't be transformable. I'm looking at getting a toy as a reference and adjust the model to suit. The good thing is the way I made it I think I can make this one transform. Set driven key would work great though!

# 10 23-07-2009 , 03:43 AM
Subscriber
Another set of updates.

Due to a request from a buddy of mine I changed the design slightly to make the fast pack a star trek style Warp-Fast pack. This is from an online fanfiction that we both read that mixes various anime/sci-fi stuff. So as I move to texturing the decals will be changed accordingly.

The modeling is done and its time to start texturing. It will take a while since I'm still getting used to texturing but hopefully it will turn out nice.

Attached Thumbnails

# 11 23-07-2009 , 03:45 AM
Subscriber
second uplink

Attached Thumbnails