Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 20-07-2009 , 02:09 AM

leaf environment

So i am VERY new to maya. but learned a couple of things like texturing and bump mapping using psd files. I am going to add an inch worm to the focal point. Hopefully I can figue out modeling the inch worm!! Suggestions are more then welcome!

user added image
render time 42min.

I tried to make it look damp or slightly wet. If anyone knows a better way to make that come across MORE or more realistically...please give me some ideas...thanks!

Last edited by andymcbride; 20-07-2009 at 01:44 PM.
# 2 20-07-2009 , 04:22 PM
I love how this looks!
can't wait for the worm

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 20-07-2009 , 05:46 PM
The Nurb Herd
this looks pretty good, its a really simple model tho... i hope your inch worm will look as nice. You may find it harder to texture something that's not flat. Have you studied unwrapping UVs yet?

btw, what is an inch worm? is it just a small worm?

# 4 20-07-2009 , 06:32 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gamerbabe360/2680349038/

thats an inch worm. They are typically VERY small. Hence the shallow depth...really want to give that macro look.

I will have to look up unwrapping UV's now to see what that is. Is that where you can prevent the PSD texture from stretching and squashing once its wrapped onto the model? If so that is the problem I was having with the leaf but Im happy with the current look. As for the worm I have never built a model other then this leaf. My only other project was text inside maya. So this will be a challenge but a learning experience. Im sure I will watch a tut and modify to make my worm. I am about to buy zbrush to help. with the worm modeling.

BTW Thanks for the replys im glad im getting feedback user added image

# 5 20-07-2009 , 09:06 PM
EduSciVis-er

Originally posted by hammer.horror
btw, what is an inch worm? is it just a small worm?

Technically they're not worms at all, they're little green caterpillars of a moth (as you can probably see from the flickr pic). They're called that cause they look like they're measuring out inches as they move along.
Very realistic looking environment, btw, looking forward to seeing the progress.

# 6 20-07-2009 , 09:41 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by andymcbride
I will have to look up unwrapping UV's now to see what that is. Is that where you can prevent the PSD texture from stretching and squashing once its wrapped onto the model? If so that is the problem I was having with the leaf but Im happy with the current look.

that's one way of putting it user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D