Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 25-05-2003 , 05:47 PM

Mech Rigging

I've seem to have run into a problem in my mech design,
what I want to be able to do Is have the whole lower leg rotate on the pivot point i highlighted with a target, along the axis of the arrow's ive drawn. only problem is I want to have the 3 support beam things alter themselves accordingly, possibly by bending in the middle. I'm really new to this kind of thing, and any help would be great.

Attached Thumbnails

________

- Jacob
# 2 26-05-2003 , 11:28 PM
Maybe this is a solution?

It looks to me like the support beams should work like pistons!?

If you think that is a good idea this setup might work.. While you try to forgive my photoshop skills i will put some words to the image.. if it's not self explanatory.

Make sure that the upper and lower parts of the pistons are seperate geometry. Parent the lower part to the rotating balljoint and the upper to the.. well upper part of the foot user added image Make sure that the pivots are at the right positions. Apply an aimconstraint to the lower piston part and have it look at the upper part of the piston. Works??

Please let me know if it worked or sucked.. or both!

Nenox

ohh.. looks like you might have to change the geometry to not have intersection.. sorry about that user added image Would love to see the whole model! I absolutely suck at machine designs so I'm allready in awe! user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Nenox; 26-05-2003 at 11:31 PM.
# 3 26-05-2003 , 11:32 PM
Ps. Apply the same setup to all three "Pistons" user added image Also you should be able to rotate the foot in any direction.. I think..

Last edited by Nenox; 26-05-2003 at 11:42 PM.
# 4 27-05-2003 , 12:04 AM
STOP!! ..uhm .. ehh ..well THAT DID NOT WORK!

Sorry about that! I'll see if I can make up for my wrongdoings and come up with a worthy reply user added image

# 5 27-05-2003 , 12:13 AM
The Maya Mountain

# 6 27-05-2003 , 12:28 AM
Ok.. Hi again!

For the aim constraint thing to work you need to have both the upper and the lower part of of the piston Aiming at eack other! Silly me. user added image Anyways I included 2 files to look at. Made it with bones for the sake of ease and also to be able to use IK. Foot bones 2 aims is the above example fixed with the extra aim constraint. Foot bones IK is the bending solution. Maybe it can be made without but i would just use bones.. :mingun: sorry joints.. and parent my geometry to them. It doesn't look like the upper part of the rods are surpose to rotate at the socket but they have to with my two solutions. Maybe someone else has better ideas! Anyway I'll check out the mech rigging thing and than i think it's time for no more ****ups and some user added image

Attached Files
File Type: mb foot test bones 2 aims.mb (44.2 KB, 220 views)

Last edited by Nenox; 27-05-2003 at 02:00 PM.
# 7 27-05-2003 , 12:31 AM
And the IK version.. Note that the IK handle is point constrained.

Attached Files
File Type: mb foot_bones_ik.mb (43.7 KB, 205 views)

Last edited by Nenox; 27-05-2003 at 01:58 PM.
# 8 27-05-2003 , 06:30 PM
Sorry i havent replied yet, been swamped with school.
Havent had time to try yet, but I am about to.
I agree the pistons are the best solution, thanks for your help Nenox

________

- Jacob
# 9 27-05-2003 , 09:36 PM
got the pistons working, thanks nenox!

________

- Jacob