Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 24-01-2006 , 01:44 AM

a head

Gonna try modelling some heads to get better at it, don't gonna texture them. This is the first one. Please give some comments about things looking weird.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-01-2006 , 09:15 AM
pretty good DJbLAZER

I'd say:
- the top rear of the head is too square,
- the outer corner of the eye area (the area around it) needs dropping back slightly (makes the eyes look too forward pointing)
- the outer ring of the ear looks a little too thin and the ear itself may be a little too far back (not a lot)
- the front of the neck needs bringing in a bit (he looks like he's got goitre) and the back of the neck needs to be brought in and up a bit

other than that I'd say it has good character features, keep going! user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 3 24-01-2006 , 11:12 AM
thanks for the comments t1ck135,

in the profile he match the ref pic perfectly, so he actually has kind of a squarish head, fat neck and droopy chin. Will take a look at th ear though. Don't know exactly what you mean about the eye..

# 4 24-01-2006 , 03:07 PM
Subscriber
only thing i can see is the ear needs a lot more tweaking, the outter rim is really thin and round, and the lobe iskinda funky, unless he has some sort of different ear or something i would look at a few other ears.

First year 3D Grad
# 5 24-01-2006 , 05:54 PM
yes, I did the ear a long time ago, just put it in real quick here, gonna try to get it a bit better looking.

# 6 24-01-2006 , 08:16 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey DJ

Overall I like it. It has a nice feel to it, almost weighty. Very good.

My only comment is the ear, sorry if you are sick of hearing about it. No Pun intended.

A little thickness here and there, but the main offender is the front where it meets the head, it should almost be smooth and slide straight on, as its looking a little stuck on right now, but thats it.

Good work

Jay

# 7 24-01-2006 , 08:21 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Also I'd reloop these like this

Jay

Attached Images
# 8 24-01-2006 , 11:14 PM
Thanks for the critique Jay!

Did some work on the ear, so I think it looks quite good now.

I decided this is the final version, so I'm gonna move along and do another one.

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 24-01-2006 , 11:20 PM
Subscriber
lol.
i dont think youre quite done yet.

hehe.

some areas still nee a little wirk. where the eyebrows meet, the bottom lip/upper lip too.

dont rush. this looks good so far.
keep tweaking. user added image

# 10 24-01-2006 , 11:38 PM
i agree with vlad it looks good but as vlad said, dont rush.why would you like to do another one right now.keep tweaking, its looking promissing!user added image

# 11 24-01-2006 , 11:41 PM
Was planning do do a bunch of them to get faster and better... I WONT GO BACK to this one..hehe. Thanks for the input though, maybe I can use it for the next one.user added image