Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 28-09-2006 , 03:12 AM

Polygons or NURBS?

From wich do you prefer to model and why?

I like the NURBS surfaces. I get a clear view of what I'm doing.

Lets keep our dreams alive!
# 2 28-09-2006 , 07:52 AM
Subscriber
i like modeling in polygon and sub-d's
because when i convert from nurbs to polygon to use the split polygon tool the mesh is ****ed up i think so i need to spend much more time to clean it up and get rid of the 5-sided and the triangles

------------------- WIP ------------------

--------------- Finished Work -------------
Apache Helicopter
Armoured Personal Unit
Apache Finished
Ferrari 360
Mech
# 3 28-09-2006 , 08:46 AM
Subscriber
I've adopted Kurts modeling layout which is to rough out in NURBS, then convert to polys to refine. I find this really speeds up getting the initial shape rather than starting from polys. Personal preference now, Thanks Kurt :bow:

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 4 28-09-2006 , 10:54 AM
I do prefer Polygons as the way that you model with them just makes more sense to me. However I am currently trying to get my head around nurbs as I have heard that they are just better suited to non organic objects because they look a lot smoother.

# 5 28-09-2006 , 01:48 PM

I've adopted Kurts modeling layout which is to rough out in NURBS

Can you please inform about this modeling layout?

# 6 28-09-2006 , 01:55 PM
Subscriber
Basically, if you are modelling a head. Create a nurbs sphere, adjust the cv's to get the core shape against your reference, maybe add a few more isoparms (edges for nurbs) if necessary, then go to modify>convert>nurbs-polys, and adjust the options to suit. I tend to keep it low poly and refine the head in polygon mode. Though you will have to delete the nurbs model you had as during the conversion this creates a separate piece of geometry rather than replacing the old or converting it as its name suggests.

Hope this helps

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 7 28-09-2006 , 05:26 PM
Subscriber

Polygons

I prefer a combination of polygons and sub-D's, as that is what I am used to. Although I have adopted Kurt's technique of using nurbs to initially create the shape then convert to poly's, sometimes I just prefer to start from a poly object. I think it just depends on what you are working on.

Last edited by Wraithe; 28-09-2006 at 07:54 PM.
# 8 28-09-2006 , 09:28 PM

maybe add a few more isoparms (edges for nurbs) if necessary, then go to modify>convert>nurbs-polys, and adjust the options to suit.

Sorry, im not understanding youre technique. Im a noob.user added image
I didnt know u can modify or add isoprams. How do you do that?

# 9 28-09-2006 , 09:39 PM
Subscriber

Working on NURBS

With Poly you use Split Poly, Cut faces, create polygon or append to polygon to add faces, edges etc.

If you are working on a NURBS surface, right click for the context menu and select isoparms. An isoparm is the equivalent of a polygon edge sort of. You can select isoparms like you can poly edges. If you click and hold the mouse button on an isoparm you can drag it. You'll see a dotted yellow line move to where you release the button. Then goto MENU > Edit Nurbs > Insert Isoparms. You get an isoparm where the dotted line was.

To add multiple isoparms, click on an isoparm, then shift click on another so both isoparms are highlighted, then goto MENU > Edit Nurbs > Insert Isoparms/options. In there click the 'Between Selection' radio button and insert how many isoparms to enter. Click Insert. You can also add multiple Isoparms at different locations by just Shift clicking and dragging around the geometry then in the Options box select 'At Selection'.

Regards
Wraithe

Last edited by Wraithe; 28-09-2006 at 09:43 PM.
# 10 26-10-2006 , 11:27 PM
I like to model with polygons. I model using one of two methods. I start with a cube and delete all but one face and just extrude edges to create additional polygons or method two, on occassion I will also create a general shape using a polygon primitive and then add detail. I guess it depends on what I'm modelling. But I almost always use polygons and I tend to use the first method of extruding edges far more frequently.

...and that is how I saved the world.
# 11 27-10-2006 , 02:58 PM
Acid44
me likey pollies:attn: :attn: :attn:

# 12 27-10-2006 , 06:18 PM
for organic modelling i use subdivs for the legs, arms , torso etc. i.e for the less complicated things.
for the complicated things like head i start with the nurbs then move onto polygons.
for normal thing i use polygons for less complicated ones and nurbs for complicated ones.