Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 07-02-2008 , 10:57 AM

Way to use one grayscale image for several purposes?

Hi,

since you can get quite good results with one grayscale image (just adjusting contrast, brightness, saturation etc) for bump, diffuse and spec, is there a way to use just one image within maya, and be able to tweak all these depending on which attribute it is applied to?

Instead of having 3 adjusted files this woud be more efficient. I know you can tweak the settings in the 2d placement node, but that changes it for all of the outputs - is there something you can add between the file node and the attribute to get different values out of one image?

cheers

gubar

# 2 07-02-2008 , 07:16 PM
yeh just go to hypershade, and grapy your shader.
Delete all of the duplicate images except for one including their placement nodes. Then simply ctrl middle mouse drag texture to the surface shader and attach it to any channels you want.

If you want to adjust the seetings on the file texture individually such as color gain etc but retain the placement settings, duplicate the file texture in the hypergraph and ctrl mmb drag the original placement node onto it.

# 3 08-02-2008 , 07:02 AM
Hi,

thanks for the reply. I realize I can do that, but isn't that just the same as loading a seperate texture? I was wondering about having just one file texture.

cheers

gubar