Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 25-04-2010 , 05:54 AM
Lifetime Member
BTW tommy, I have only 1774 faces on mine, found a duplicated head somehow? bahahaha when I use smooth preview sometimes it locks on the sub-d. That was sorted by Mayaniac.

cheers bullet

P.S what are you using for texture?? PS or Maya?

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 17 25-04-2010 , 07:25 AM
Subscriber
To texture i guess im using both lol. Layout the UVs in Maya then saving the UV map, loading that into photoshop and then creating what i want over the top and saving it out as a jpg. Attach that file as a blinn in maya for a nice and simple plastic material.

Also im not using any smooth modifiers. As its such a simple shape its not needed beveling the edges adds enough detail without ramping the poly count too high.

Finally I am going to add the details into the legs. I think i was just being lazy lol will take a couple mins to do and i looked at the ones in Lego Harry Potter and they have it, all i need to do is open up the faces on the backs of legs (and bottom of feet) and shove in a cylinder. All that might add ooo 5 faces depending on exactly how it ends up but even with props i dont see Kratos ending up above 3k which in xbox terms is peanuts.

Now hopfully that made sense as ive just got in from a night shift (10pm to 8am) and its probably time for sleeps. Hope to get another hour or so done later, should get the back and head done.

Ciao!

- Big Tom
www.digitaltom.co.uk
# 18 25-04-2010 , 07:36 AM
Lifetime Member
sweet as man, I know how you feel!!!! Im home (not in the bush thank christ). Usually for me its 13 hour days 28 days on (one off in the middle), so get some sleep.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 19 26-04-2010 , 05:33 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi mate, hope the sleep was a good one???

I have finished mine (following in your shadow great sage equal of heaven). Could you look at my pic for me before I model the coppers hat and pistol for my son (thanks BTW lol!!!). He is adament that it should have the accessories!!

The poly count you speak of (nuclear noob here) is that the one I have on low res highlighted in my pic??? Is this the one I need to watch when modelling?

Hope you have or get Kratos finished soon mate, my boy Loki is keen to see the mage produce some more Lego's!!! I think you have a new admirer mate!!

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 20 26-04-2010 , 04:43 PM
Subscriber
Yep the faces count is the poly count. However technically you need to triangulate your model first but it really doesn't matter too much. I havn't put in the risers on the legs either - actually i havnt even but the hole in for the bottom of the body.

Other than that i would actually suggest putting in a little more info as its very blocky - or because its so blocky using a smooth on it just make sure you have put some edge loops in to keep those corners tight.

Also here is a shot of my wireframe hopfully it will help someone. Will throw on a quick explination of how i modeled each part too.

Finally... Your kids name is Loki?! that is awsome!

user added image

- Big Tom
www.digitaltom.co.uk
# 21 26-04-2010 , 10:18 PM
Lifetime Member
wow, looks good man, I did exactly t5he same except for the arms, havent got the extrude along curve down pat yet.

Yep, Loki. aptly named boy too!!!! is mischevious (like his father). Cheers for the advice mate

cheers bullet

got a few edges I can clean up

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 22 27-04-2010 , 12:28 AM
Subscriber
bigtommy, that looks really sweet, really clean
i'd like to see the part where you extruded the wrist out from the hand (with wireframe)
also are you going to give him chaos blades, blades of athena or blades of exile?

bullet, did you convert to subdivisions..?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 23 27-04-2010 , 12:55 AM
Lifetime Member
yeh Chirone, just to preview in smooth, I convert back to poly when I have had a look. I have an old Maya so cant utilise the quick preview. Bit of a bummer but you get used to it.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 24 27-04-2010 , 08:00 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Chirone. Still could probably be a little cleaner in the legs but i will clean them up when i get to texturing them.

With the wrist i just realised i completely lied about them hah! I did the extrude the first time and it didnt work it was far too messy! I used booleans and then tidied up from there. Thats what i get for posting after just waking up!

These lates are killing me but have thursday and friday off so should get loads done then! But which blades to do i cant decide... maybe a lego special lol.

- Big Tom
www.digitaltom.co.uk
# 25 27-04-2010 , 09:13 PM
Subscriber
bigtom, still like to see how you connected the wrists, because it looks like the wrists have more edges than the hands can handle, so i'd really like to see user added image

a lego special huh? blades of lego! remember to model an enemy with lego blood!

bullet, bummer about the no quick preview!
i'd just do mesh>smooth and then undo

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 26 27-04-2010 , 10:44 PM
Lifetime Member
Yeh Chirone,

I was using 'alt ~' but now it locks it into sub-d (duplicates mesh), then I have to go to outliner to delete it.

bigtom did you extrude your wrist from the halfpipe hand?? I did mine the other way around? I created the arm, extruded the wrist space up into the arm, then duplicated that inside face, extruded back out and then booleaned the half pipe to the wrist. I would be interested in comparing notes.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 27 29-04-2010 , 09:16 AM
Subscriber
Ok no progress as of yet but here are details you have asked for.

Process for the wrist/hand - Ignor my pic it lies lol - Create a pipe, set the thickness to about 2.5, delete front faces and close off gap with append to poly tool to create the 'fingers'. To add the wrist create a cylender to appropriate size, position and then booleans. Finally tidy up mesh with split poly / move and merge verts.

Here is the screen of the wrist area. All quads except the cylender cap which i am not gonna bother changing as game engines usually end up as triangles anyway.

user added image

Fingers crossed to have some more done later!

- Big Tom
www.digitaltom.co.uk
# 28 29-04-2010 , 10:11 AM
Subscriber
Ok ive gone for a simplified version of the chaos blades. Hopfully get about 1 more hour out of this today as im gonna go watch iron man 2 whoop! Upto 2600 faces with both swords so still nice and low res user added image

user added image

- Big Tom
www.digitaltom.co.uk
# 29 29-04-2010 , 10:49 AM
Lifetime Member
Now THAT is cool mate, bloody good work!!!

cheers bullet

P.S I did pretty much the same for the hands. Cylinder for the arm, extrude up into the arm, duplicate, extrude back down, create the cylinder for hand, snap face boolean.

Your method came out better though, much rounder around the wrist.

bullet1968

# 30 29-04-2010 , 10:56 AM
Subscriber
Looking very good indeed, only complaint at mo is that the blade size looks slightly off to me. Looks like he is holding swords more than the blades but then its tricky because its Lego. They still look a little too big. Are you going for the other weapons as well (Medusa`s head, Blade of Artemis)

Been bagging out God of War 1 + 3 the last few weeks (started with 3 then got the collection so gone back to 1 then 2 which I have never played) and I must say I love these games.