Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 11-09-2016 , 08:29 PM
Subscriber

Polycount dilemma

Well, it has been a very long time since I have posted at here simplymaya, but I have come back to start asking some questions, starting with this one below.

I have modeled a single piece of train track as an asset for UE4. However, the asset has 80 support boards that lie underneath the tracks, and each board contains about 20 polygons. For one piece, that does not sound bad at all, but once I start laying the tracks down in UE4, I can only imagine that I could have over 100,000+ very easily. I am thinking I could bake it, but this will only make the support boards flat, even with a normal map. So I was wondering if anyone could help me out, and give me some pointers or suggestions. I have include a jpeg for reference.

Attached Thumbnails