Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 01-11-2004 , 12:37 AM

Violet (the incredibles) WIP

well i had a couple free hours and haven't used Maya in quite some time so i thought i would make a nice duplicate of a character from the new Pixar movie "the increadibles" seeing that i haven't really done ANY texture mapping in the past, and this character has some really difficult hair, i think it will be a good learning experience for me ^^
some screens below. ^^

( O and yes i am awayre of the massive crease in the middle, still need to combine my 2 sides and smooth that out... =P )

Attached Thumbnails

Imagination will always lead to knowledge, while knowledge may not necessarily bring fourth imagination.
# 2 01-11-2004 , 12:40 AM

eyelid issue

this is actually my first time doing eyelids as well ><
and as you can see i have a little problem with a crease in the outer side of the lids, that i cant for the life of me figure out how to fix...

Attached Thumbnails

Imagination will always lead to knowledge, while knowledge may not necessarily bring fourth imagination.
# 3 01-11-2004 , 12:46 AM
here is a whire frame of the eyelid from outside the head and inside ( before smoothed)

gottah love my mouse writeing ehh? =P

Attached Thumbnails

# 4 01-11-2004 , 03:12 AM
Subscriber
can't really see the problem area, but from what i can see it mite be an extra hidden edge in there. I've had similar trouble before caused because there were two vertices sitting ontop of each other causing intersecting faces. try doing a merge vertex on all the vertices in the area. and make sure its set real low

# 5 01-11-2004 , 09:43 AM
Subscriber
Could be the tris you have there.

Daeuser added image

"I THINK, THEREFORE I AM"
René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 6 01-11-2004 , 10:03 AM
Subscriber
didn't spot that one :o

looking at that, i've got a possible fix for ya. not sure if it will clean up the crease, but it will get rid of some strange geometry on the lid. Admittedly it only replaces it with more strange geometry, but i've found it conveinent in my modelling and it seems to perform well under deformation.

Just elminate the red edges and add the green. move the vertices in the direction of the blue arrows to give a shape that follows the curve of the eyeball. That extra, short, horizontal line also proves fairly useful for forming creases between lid and brow when the eye is open.

I'm not claiming it to be the best way to model, its just an opinion. If it helps it helps, if not... then there's plenty of other really good, better than me, modellers at SM user added image

Attached Images
# 7 01-11-2004 , 10:06 AM
Subscriber
u also need to break up the five siders on the left. U mite have more luck with this if u post a full head wire... see where some of these lines go. Then you just need to wait for Jango to turn up, he's got an eye for wires user added image

# 8 01-11-2004 , 06:10 PM
thank you for your observations ^^ im gonna try that with the eye and see how it works.

i have posted a wire below :bandit:

Attached Images

# 9 01-11-2004 , 08:27 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Psycho Ferret (cool name by the way)

I have just had a tinker with your mesh and altered it a bit. Hope you dont mind. Overall I thought it was a good start but the only thing for me was that it looks like you've tried to model too much too soon and basically missed the bigger picture.
Myself when I have built heads and am still trying to do the next even better than the last is to just concentrate on the form alone minus the teeth and ears. I know we are all different in the way we work but if you look at a face as a simple object from the front be it a cartoon or human you can break it down into an oval with 4 holes in it (2 eye sockets, Nose hole and the mouth). Now I always try to model these in a loop fashion but so everything is flowing in, around and over itself, and it keeps the face looking like it should, nice and organic but also pretty much correct in the way that the muscles lie under the skin. This will also benefit your model when you animate the facial expressions. Also I never (personally speaking) model the eyes shut, I know the characters blink etc. but unless they blink real slow or you are showing them asleep I would do them open, it will also be easier when you come to put the eyes in and shape the sockets, you wont have to start going backwards. Hope this is of use to you
Regards
_J

Attached Images

Last edited by Jay; 01-11-2004 at 08:30 PM.
# 10 01-11-2004 , 08:28 PM
Subscriber
thats a very dense around the mouth and nose for the end results. Its also littered with non 4 sided polys. one or two out of the way of major deformation areas works okay, but smooth and sub-d's start to go wierd around non-quads.

The face has two major edge loops, one around the mouth, and one that runs around both eyes like a set of goggles. Then each eye has its own edge loops that run around each eye.

Mite need to re-work that geometry a bit, but i wudn't kno where to start, i'm a noob to maya and organic modelling.user added image

And Jango posts while i'm typing this. Told u he has an eye for wires! user added image

# 11 01-11-2004 , 08:31 PM
Cheers Kerosene
_J

# 12 01-11-2004 , 08:33 PM
Yeah the mouth was a bit of a bugger to get to at this scale its just the way the character is I think. But you cant have it to low res a mesh or the uvs will stretch too much
Later Dudes
_J

# 13 01-11-2004 , 09:22 PM
thanks so much for your input guys ^^ i shall work it and post a follow up when in a bit

# 14 23-11-2004 , 08:15 PM

update

sorry it took me so long but here are updates... i redid most of the whire and reconstructed the eyelids,

Attached Images

# 15 23-11-2004 , 08:16 PM
a slightly diff angle.. ^_^

Attached Images