Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 03-05-2005 , 11:06 PM

am i missing the obvious

Ok, here is my problem.
I want to create a half an elbow macaroni.
I wanted it to be a single surface w normals on both sides. This is not possible. So I thought to make a surface really thin.

1st problem is how to make an oval curve w straight edges.

- my method: cut a circle in half using "detach curve", move one half circle away, make lines inbetween with make curve tool and rejoin them. This seems to work until i want to revolve the oval and i see that the oval is not a continuous surface, ergo my revolve is also not continuous. I have tried all the tools i can find but none seem to do the job.

2nd problem is how to join 2 of the verticies of 2 different or combined polys that have a space between them (not make them the same vertex), just create an edge bridge between them. Maybe its not possible but i dont see why it shouldnt be.

- I have tried everything, searched the internet and can find nada.

Anyone who can shed some light on these queries will get a small shrine on my computer desktop

Thanx
TB

# 2 26-05-2005 , 07:20 PM
For the first question, maybe i'm missing the point, but for a peice of Macaroni I would woud

1. Creat-Nurbs Primitive-cylinder
2. Go to your Attributes and change the Spans from 1 to something like 8 or so. This will give you bending room.

3. Shape as you will.

For the second question, once you have your macaroni shaped you can

1. go to Modify-Convert- Nurbs to polys (to convert nurbs to polys obviously)

2. Use the Poly tool to add Edges and Vertices wherever you want them. (if you can't figure out how to do this, watch the "Cartoon Dog" tuts, Kurt does it in the second one, i think)

Also, by right clicking the polygon you have a choice of several selection options: by face, vertices, edges, etc.

I've only been modeling for a couple days ,but I hope I helped!

Cheers!