Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 06-02-2007 , 03:38 PM
Subscriber

Tell Tale Heart

Hello Folks,

I've made a start on my new university project 'The Tell Tale Heart' and here's the progress. The animation will take place in this room, I've got most of the big furniture made and have a couple of textures and lights in place but there is still quite a way to go.

Any thoughts or crit type stuff would be really cool,

cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 06-02-2007 , 03:39 PM
Subscriber
another angle....

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 06-02-2007 , 03:39 PM
Subscriber
and finally.......

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 06-02-2007 , 04:17 PM
Nice room mate, the texture on the matteress lookd really cool.

Looking forward to updates

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 06-02-2007 , 04:26 PM
Eeewww.. that mattress looks nasty!

Good job on the room - it looks great - the only things that stand out for me is the sink- which just seems a little thin - and the light from the lamp which seems too sharp, but these are minor quibbles.

# 6 06-02-2007 , 05:29 PM
Subscriber
Cheers,

I certainly wouldn't like to sleep on that mattress!! I think the stain that I used was from spilt tea, it looks much nastier post photoshop though!!

I think the sink is fine, it's just that the underside of the bowl is in shade. I've attached a wire of it to illustrate. I've been toying with putting a lamp in that corner of the room and I think that I will now!!

I know what you mean about the bedside lamp being too bright on the cabinet, it's because it only has the default lambert on it at the moment, once I make a shader for it that problem will be solved.

Take it easy,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 06-02-2007 , 05:54 PM
yeah - I could see the sink bowl underneath - I guess I meant the porcelain top seemed a bit thin, but really it's not a big deal. Cheers for posting the wire.

any plans to post your plot synopsis?user added image

# 8 13-02-2007 , 12:31 PM
Subscriber
Hello folks,

it's a bit slow goingonthis one but here's an update.... I honestly can't remember what I've done since my last post but there's some progress.

In between modelling and texturing, I've been playing with the lighting (the time consuming part!!) I've not really got it how I want which is why the following pictures have the same set up as the previous ones, I'll get it sorted one day though!!!

Enjoy the pics and crit is always good.

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 13-02-2007 , 12:34 PM
Subscriber
Close up of the bedside cabinet....

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 13-02-2007 , 06:06 PM
Subscriber
nice work on the room, wish I knew how to texture so I could do something like that. I also love the Jameson bottle, my favorite whiskey... ever

# 11 15-02-2007 , 11:07 PM
Subscriber
good job mate ...love the texturing ...

interesting book collection ....

light looks good too ... .keep it up

# 12 16-02-2007 , 07:02 AM
i love the texture work you've done so far, although i've got one gripe, and it's minor. not sure why, but it bugs me that the texture for the nightstand and the texture for its drawer match up perfectly... even if it were just a little offset (or rotated?) it would look more real, cause when was the last time you saw the grain match up like that?

Accept no substitutions.
# 13 16-02-2007 , 08:48 AM
Subscriber
Thanks folks,

Rhetoric Camel: Thanks, I'm still not convinced that I know what I'm doing though!!

mmoore: long time man, I hope all is good with you.

Neo: I'll sort that out for the next render. Half of the detail won't even matter in the final animation but at least I know it's there and can be used if necesarry.

In the mean time....

I've changed the renderer from Maya to mentalray (40 seconds faster per frame) and have been playing with an occlusion render pass to make the room look more grimy. The book shelf is now full and I've spent ages tidying up the file scene (readying for animation) so it's pretty much done, next I need to design and make the character.

Cheers for your thoughts,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 16-02-2007 , 09:04 AM
Subscriber
nice render ..just a thought ..the picture ..kinda be nice to have a light either shining down on it or up above it like old time films and give it the creepy factor ..but looks good

on other note ..things going good ..no time to work on maya ..sending you email to your main account

# 15 20-02-2007 , 12:34 PM
Subscriber
Here's a brief update,

I'm leaving the room alone for a while and have made a start on the character for the animation. He's a pretty haggard loking fellow, tired and worried about sums him up. Plenty to do before he's done but crit is always welcome.

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails