Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 26-06-2007 , 06:21 AM

help extruding along path

hi. im new to maya.

I am looking to extrude a profile shape along a path as one might describe that volume that a switchback fire stair might occupy - for example it must main constant sectional dimensions, and I would like for it to have square edges.

I have tried two different routes to get what I am looking for and neither one quite works. FIrst, I tried extruding along a path. While the extusion is close, i am finding that the section is slowly rotating along the path's length. I dont know how to get it to stop doing that.

The other route I tried was to attach the section shape to the path as a motion shape, and then creating an animated sweep. This one works excepts for the corners in plan. When the path turns a corner, I get a step before the corner and after the corner, and ultimately a chamfer between either edge. I have tweaked all the settings I can find to try and force a step immediately at the corner, but I havent figured it out. Even if I were to get one, I am not sure that it would understand how to deal with the sections immediately before and after.

what I am looking for is similar to the sweep command in 3d studio max....but in maya.
see attached screengrab to decipher what I am describing.

thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails