Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 46 10-01-2004 , 07:37 AM
Subscriber
Mmmm 64bit goodness. Shame windows can't use it yet but I suppose thats gona give you a nice bit of power to come when 64bit windows does finally arrive. Maya 6 64bit compiled?

This is of course assuming you don't use Unix which of course means full 64bit OS power already.

www.snipersupplies.co.uk
# 47 10-01-2004 , 10:24 AM
i guess youre right... buying the frist generation of 64 bits processors (and just "big market" released) doesnt sounds the most intelligent thing to do?... and looks filthy expensive (yet is cheaper than an equivalent 32 bits benchmark PIV), but is fully 32 bits compatible, and future proof (i usually upgrade every 2 yrs and its being about time) (btw when is winxp64 expected to come?and like how much performance increase i can expect vs 32bits operation?)just couldnt resist making some numbers...

Im doubting... what do you think guys? do you consider that upgrade (config0) as "expensive for what you get" or just "normal"?

BTW is there a 64 bits linux? a redhat or something fool proof enough i can play with installing it on a partition?

Last edited by dragonfx; 10-01-2004 at 11:57 AM.
# 48 10-01-2004 , 11:32 AM
This is dragonfx´s pc speaking: i believe my human needs an upgrade and wanted to know your opinions about to what to upgrade....

# 49 10-01-2004 , 03:04 PM
A university pal wants to buy my old pc rig for 250€ and i still get the components i need for my new rig... im strongly considering buying it...

If i were switch to penthium with those configs:
PIV config 1
BOX ATX levicom MF-LCDDisplay(350W) 99€
Asus P4C800 Deluxe (intel 857P) +firewire 205€
Thermaltake spark7+ 26.9€
MICRO INTEL PIV 3.06 GHZHT 286,40 €
2X (DDR 512 Mb. 400 Mhz. Kingston) 2x(97.50€)=195€
TOTAL=812.3€

PIV config 2
BOX ATX levicom MF-LCDDisplay(350W) 99€
Asus P4C800S (intel 848P) 105€
Thermaltake spark7+ 26.9€
MICRO INTEL PIV 3.06 GHZ 286,40 € HT
2X(DIMM DDR400 PC3200 512MB 91,00 €)=182€
TOTAL=699.3€

would i win more for the buck?

btw anbody knows what is the difference between the 857 and 848 Intel chipsets?(excludinga monstruous price drop apart)

(gotta ask the other dealer about prices for the PIV last month they got PIV3ghz at 250€ shame they dont have a pricelist on the web

Last edited by dragonfx; 10-01-2004 at 04:13 PM.
# 50 10-01-2004 , 07:13 PM
Subscriber
I haven't got any numbers for expect gains with win64. Also the app, ie Maya, would need to be recoded to take the full benifit of q 64bit system.

Personally I would go with the 64bit system, a64 3200+ or higher as it has the 1mb cache and the 3000+ only has 512k, as this would get you performance gains in the future.

I think, I may be wrong, that the 848 is either 533Fsb or a cut down version of the 857 which only allows single channel memory, effectily halfing you bandwith and the main reason for going Intel over AMD XP's.

And yes the there are various forms of Unix which are already 64bit, can't remember which of the top of my head.

www.snipersupplies.co.uk
# 51 12-01-2004 , 11:14 PM
Okay... I have finally gotten all of my parts for my computer and I hope I haven't messed it up to where I'll have to buy new parts. Alrighty then, first, here are my specs (as far as I can think...)

Abit NF7 MOBO
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton Core)
Gigabyte Technologies ATI Radeon 9200SE graphics card
512 MB PC2700 RAM
Pacific Digital 52X CDRW drive
40 GB Western Digital 2 MB Cache hard drive
Raidmax Scorpio 868 case (Yellow)
19" CRT monitor

Okay, I hooked it all up Friday night and as I assembled the CPU and heatsink together, I ended up putting too much thermal paste on the CPU and as it started up, part of the paste burned. I quickly turned it all off and cleaned off the CPU and heatsink. Room smelled to high heaven.

I got up the nerve to hook things back together Saturday night and after only putting a dab (half a grain of rice) on the core of the CPU, I reassembled the CPU and HSF and started it all up. All was well with no smell.

Last night, I started back into everything and managed, after much sweating and fretting, to get the CDRW to work - door opening and everything. On the MOBO, there were two lights - amber and green - that came on in that order and stayed on. I would turn on the computer and it would come on and stay on. I couldn't get the power button to shut off and I guess the reset switch didn't/doesn't work but both are connected correctly. I had to shut it off from the PSU switch - I know that's not a good idea. I assume the hard drive is working as I hear no bad noises nor good ones. It's quiet.

This morning, I jumped once again into the fray. This time, I'd start up the computer and it'd stay on for a minute or so, then, shut down. This went on for a while. Somehow, it seems like I've managed to get it on and stay on AND I can now turn it off from the power switch. As for the reset switch, I can't get it to do anything. Here come my problems...

The monitor has always had a screen that says "no signal input" and I see no BIOS or POST or CCMOS. I have the monitor plugged into the video card as there's nothing else to plug it into. My wife's old eMachines has the video port built in to her MOBO but mine doesn't. I've taken the card out and reseated it and still nothing. I tried an older 17" monitor but all I get is just a black screen. I have no OS to install yet - would that make a difference? Do I need the drivers for all of this junk in my case to make them all work?

Now, on to my lovely case. I got it b/c I thought it would work well with what parts I was adding. That sucker has so many plugs and I have no clue where the smaller white ones with the tiny holes in them go (gee, and to think someone like me with such a limited knowledge of computer terminology is trying to build his own computer).

And to make matters worse, I may have a piece that won't go back on... it's a small piece with the letters and numbers SS12... any ideas? Please tell me I don't need this piece for the computer to work...

Okay, there's a start. Could someone get back with me as soon as you can? Thank you.

Sweatin' bullets...
Russell

Russell Bolding
CEO/Founder - Russelltopia Studios
Web:https://www.russelltopia.com
Email:russbo@russelltopia.com
# 52 13-01-2004 , 01:16 AM
if you have the mobo+processor+ram+videocard correctly seated you should get the bios on screen when you turn it on...

# 53 13-01-2004 , 01:32 AM
Subscriber
Ok the powering off may just be the way the bios is set, you may need to hold the power button in for 5 seconds to power off.

Have you had no display ever? That does suggest lack of power as a cause, but after reading a review on you case that shouldn't be a problem. Have you plugged in the main ATX power, large rectanglar plug, and the 12v booster(???) , the small square plug, on the motherboard ?

Try reseting the bios, there a good clear instructions and pictures in the NF7 manual.

If it powers up and then turns of after a minute or so, this sounds like a over heating CPU problem. Try giving the cpu a good clean, with a alcohol based cleaner so it evaporates and leaves no residue. What CPU cooler did you get and what type of heat paste?

Also try only having the power switch plugged into the mobo, I don't think the others will cause a problem but the more options you elimiate the better.

Let us know how you get on and best of luck mate.

www.snipersupplies.co.uk
# 54 13-01-2004 , 02:12 AM
I discovered from a guy I work with that by pressing the power button for 5 secs., it'd shutdown, and it does. Problem is, I can't get it turned back on again unless I either unplug the power cord or flip the PSU switch, both bad ideas.

I have both the PSU plug AND the booster plugged in and I still get this garbage. user added image On my 17" monitor, I get a black screen and the 19' has that "no signal output" message. I'm wondering if it could be the mobo. I was thinking it was the graphics card but I'm not sure. I know the connector on the card has the female holes but the plug from the monitor has only 12 pins. Looks like pins are missing. The 17" has 14 pins. :saywhat: Do the number of pins really matter? My mobo has 2 COM1 connectors on the board but no way to hook up VGA. I haven't seen my BIOS at all in all this time and not sure I will unless I get another mobo and if I'm forced, I won't be getting another Nf7, that's for sure. :finger2:

I'll need to find some time later this week to try and clean the CPU. I'm gonna be so busy with work that time will be short. I did, however, look at my RAM and I think I had it in backwards but that STILL didn't change anything. user added image What do you guys know about that SS12 part I mentioned? Is it needed and could it possibly be the cause of my nightmare here? I was hoping to have this thing up and running so I could try out Medal of Honor and Maya tonight! :mingun: UGH! If it isn't my CPU, what other mobos would you all recommend? Thanks guys. You all are the greatest friends I've ever had! user added image

Russell

Russell Bolding
# 55 13-01-2004 , 07:26 AM
Subscriber
I have no idea what the SS12 part is, but i don't think its a vital part. I don't recall it from the last 2 nf7 based machines I built.

If possible try using other components to test it with ie different RAM, cpu, gfx card. Also try the ram in different slots, it sometimes makes a difference.

Its not unusual for there to be some pins missing on the monitor cable so thats not a issue.

www.snipersupplies.co.uk
# 56 13-01-2004 , 09:33 AM
Subscriber
I had no problems with the ABIT motherboard based system that I built the other day.

Here's a quick checklist for you:

(1) In the NF7 manual, it describes how to clear the CMOS. Make sure you do this and that the jumper is on the correct pins when you reapply the power or your mobo wont start up.

If that doesnt help....

(2) Ensure your system speaker is connected. Remove the RAM, disconnect the keyboard, pull out the video card, and switch on the PC. If you get beeps, indicating the RAM and Keyboard aren't installed, that's a good sign that the mobo may be working OK.

If that works....

(3) Re-insert the memory. Check the NF7 manual to ensure you have placed it in the right slot(s). Re-connect the keyboard but dont insert your videocard yet. Switch on the PC, the beeps should be gone. This is another good sign.

If that works...

(4) Plug in your video-card and hook up the monitor. Switch on the PC and hopefully all should be good.

Let me know how it goes... you can email me or put it on the forum... I'll help you diagnose.

That'll do donkey... that'll do...

Last edited by rich; 13-01-2004 at 02:13 PM.
# 57 13-01-2004 , 02:09 PM
I would make 100% sure that the GFX card is sat properly, I've built loads of machines but I still sometimes leave the AGP card sitting out and not quite connecting properly. Failing that do you have an old PCI gfx card sitting around? Sometimes MOBOS are set to boot from a PCI rather than an AGP card (it's a setting in your bios) I've had that solve a similar problem before (although it was a few years ago now). You can't put your ram i the wrong way round as there is a notch that prevents you from doing so, or do you mean in different slots? Check your manual for the best configuration for what you have. If you have only one stick of RAM put it in bank 0.

Huxleys suggestions are probably the best route for you to take now, check each piece methodically. And if you do have your machine running and then shutting down after 1 minute it's almost certainly overheating. If it does overheat you probably will have to clear the CMOS so that it defaults bake to safe settings (that has happened to me recently with my board). But I odnt think you've got enough paste on there at the moment, Make sure that you get a good connection between the components.

Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 58 14-01-2004 , 04:32 AM
Hey guys,

I wrote the company I ordered the part from (Extreme gear - www.buyextremegear.com) and I tried to see if they'll let me RMA the motherboard. I told them the part fell out of the packing when I opened it and I haven't had a chance to write them until now. We'll see if they'll let me get a replacement. Wish me luck. If nothing else, I can just try to do what Huxley said and if it works, no sweat. user added image Thanks guys! user added image

Russell

Russell Bolding
# 59 14-01-2004 , 04:33 AM

Russell Bolding
# 60 15-01-2004 , 03:29 AM
Me again.... Does anybody else out there know anything about that SS12 part on the NF7 motherboard? I haven't heard anything from the website I ordered my motherboard from yet and I'm just thinking if I don't hearanything and I can't dispute the charge, do you all think I'll have any problems getting the computer up and running with no problems even without that part? I'm a little concerned but either way, I'll get this figured out. Thanks.

Russell

Russell Bolding