Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 46 25-09-2007 , 10:16 PM
Jr.Who
That link that tweety posted is pretty cool.

Has anyone tested out the presets yet?

Last edited by Jr.Who; 29-09-2007 at 12:31 PM.
# 47 26-09-2007 , 07:26 AM
No free beer with them though Tweety! But yeah thats pretty much the same, although havingtheoption to ask questions to the guys developing it etc is great, should have though of some!

Jr Who - Yeah ive tried the presets, there pretty good, you still have to tweek them to get them how you want, but like the fur presets there a starting point for you to work on.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 48 26-09-2007 , 09:15 AM
yeah Steve, the free beer afterwards was good at manchester (but not the day after that....)
user added image

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 49 26-09-2007 , 01:33 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by gster123
No free beer with them though Tweety!

well i dont drink so not missing anything there

# 50 26-09-2007 , 01:34 PM

Originally posted by t1ck135
yeah Steve, the free beer afterwards was good at manchester (but not the day after that....)
user added image

Si

Haha yeah man, if I didnt have to go off I probably would have helped you finish off the wine!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 51 26-09-2007 , 09:37 PM
I think the wine was the actual mistake tho.... its taken a while to feel normal again, or that might just be age.... user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 52 01-10-2007 , 10:54 AM
Jr.Who
I found a really cool thing out yesterday while toying around with 2008. The Split Poly tool works much better now. In previous versions, if you clicked on an edge, and the line went through another to get there, you’d have to start over. In 2008, it allows you to do it.

I’ll probably be switching over very soon. I tried smoothing my Assault Mech, in 8.5, and it took forever. That is, the second time I tried smoothing it, because the first time it crashed.

The only reason I didn’t switch over was because of the lack of support. I wanted to learn how to use Shave and a Haircut, Maxwell, Vue xStream, and maybe some other things, but they didn’t have 2008 support. Shave now has 2008 support and Maxwell looks like it should be updating soon.

When I do update, I should have some more (and better user added image ) impressions.

# 53 01-10-2007 , 03:52 PM
Subscriber
thanks for that.., do you mean shave 2008 supports shave.., is shave a new app (I know what it is) I mean.., is there a new version of shave or can I use the one i have for 8.5??

take it easy and life will be easy
# 54 02-10-2007 , 03:14 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by mirek03
thanks for that.., do you mean shave 2008 supports shave.., is shave a new app (I know what it is) I mean.., is there a new version of shave or can I use the one i have for 8.5??

I don’t really know what you mean…… All you have to do is download the update from JoeAlter’s site for it to work on 2008.

# 55 02-10-2007 , 11:05 AM
Subscriber
thanks, thats exactly what I mean.., i dont have a lot of time on my hands to find out this stuff for myself

Muser added image

# 56 05-10-2007 , 03:08 PM
I loaded up maya 2008 on my eval system and I am not overwhelmingly impressed. I really do not concider performance improvements, bug fixes, and very few new features a "new" release. I'd consider this more like an update to maya 8.6 that is incompatible with 8.5 plugins, and that also breaks scripts and shelves.

...and that is my biggest gripe. I spent a lot of time getting my user environment the way I like to work. Breaking my plugins, scripts, shelves, and changing the location of tools in the menus every couple of months has a very negative effect on my workflow and efficiency.

Trust me I am not saying that Maya should remain stagnant, but if you are going to release a new version and it does impact plugins, scripts, shelves, and tool placement - then there should also be enough new tools to warrent loss in productivity from borking all your addons and UI tweaks.

As far as I am concerned this is simply some marketing asswipes plan to extract money from customers by selling them essentially the same product every 6 months.

If they really want to make a "new" release of maya then add some really new tools. It's not like it would take a great visionary to figure it out. Why not add the functionality of popular plugins like mjpoly tools or byrons polytools or digitalRasters NEX. These are all extremely useful tools, yet all these constant updates to Maya have done is render them useless. Maybe look at useful tools in other packages like 3D Studio Max, XSI, and Modo and bring them into Maya. ( yeah, I know they are bringing some of the 3D Max workflow and tools into maya but none of the meaty ones).

These frequent updates for the sake of nothing but pumping more money out of existing customers for no real addition of technology to the product has a chilling effect on plugin development and use as well. What is the insentive to develop a new plugin when no one will buy it because there is no assurance they will be able to learn and use it long enough to make it worth buying. Take renderman for maya, pixar has not even released the updated version for Maya 8.5 and now Maya 2008 is out for goodness sake!

Give me more features and improved workflow then call it a "new" release instead of changing the name and playing musical chairs with the menu bar items and breaking all my plugins, scripts, and shelves every 6-12 months.

Last edited by ctbram; 06-10-2007 at 03:49 AM.
# 57 06-10-2007 , 01:14 AM
Subscriber
well, this was something I myself alluded to as soon as I saw it on the alias site.., some weeks before I got it.., but the maya alias neophytes shot me down as usual user added image

I dont think it takes a genius to figure this company is sucking the production houses fro all they are worth, considering it is them who pay the big bucks and must keep on the cutting edge. Me..? well Im still trying to figure out how the scale tool works user added image But even im a litttle sick of the hide and seek, wheres the #### tool gone now, my plugins are old hat, somescripts work.., take the 'swarm' script on 3D high end.., damed if I can get it to work on 8.5 or 2008.., it hasn't been scripted for it or Im hopeless, probably the latter.., but anyway

I agree.., if they are going to bring out a NEW VERSION, let it be something like the quantum leap Adobe just made.., not some bare version with just the tools in a new place or so obscure that one has to be.., god knows what.., for them to be of any REAL use.

what a sham.., and what a shame.., shame on Alias and its a shame for those of us that love maya.., but the production houses.., imagine having to but volume licences every 6 months.., next version will be .., maya 2008 may.., though people here say the naming convention doesn't matter to them.., i just think its funny.., but obviously by giving maya a brand new name it is supposed to give the illusion of a brand new app.., I think the houses have paid for the new name.

though some here have found some new uses in 2008, not enough to warrent it a new name rather than a new version

but this is the world of big buisness and high finace now.., the geeks rule by default.., now they are becoming lawyers.

long live simply maya and the other sites that, though they gotta make a buck, try to deliver some passion into the world of graphics and 3D.

# 58 06-10-2007 , 02:00 AM
Jr.Who

well, this was something I myself alluded to as soon as I saw it on the alias site.., some weeks before I got it.., but the maya alias neophytes shot me down as usual user added image

what a sham.., and what a shame.., shame on Alias and its a shame for those of us that love maya..,

Yeah, shame on Alias, the company that doesn’t exist anymore. user added image

# 59 06-10-2007 , 02:46 AM
Subscriber
well if we are going to be pedantic .., yes what a shame!! shame they sold it.

did I make any spelling errors?? user added image

man, its so typical of geeks to pick up on a mistake, comment on it, and say nothing of value because they are too busy trying to look smart..,

this happens all the time.., an obvious eerror surrounded by a heap of other stuff.., and to the geeks, the error stands out and they comment on it?? I cant figure this, but it goes hand in hand on every forum Im in.., along with bullying.., but I dont see that on Simply Maya, thankfully.

Last edited by mirek03; 06-10-2007 at 02:50 AM.
# 60 06-10-2007 , 04:52 AM
Jr.Who

well if we are going to be pedantic .., yes what a shame!! shame they sold it.

did I make any spelling errors?? user added image

man, its so typical of geeks to pick up on a mistake, comment on it, and say nothing of value because they are too busy trying to look smart..,

this happens all the time.., an obvious eerror surrounded by a heap of other stuff.., and to the geeks, the error stands out and they comment on it?? I cant figure this, but it goes hand in hand on every forum Im in.., along with bullying.., but I dont see that on Simply Maya, thankfully.

It sounds like you’re a little sick of something. I guess we have something in common. I’m sick of hearing people whine about how Autodesk released a new version after only one year (which they have been doing since 2003), and how it isn’t that major of a release, and how they wish Autodesk never bought Alias, and how the world is coming to an end. If you don’t like the upgrade, don’t get it.

It’s as simple as that, so don’t come complaining about it to us that actually like the new features and see how good they are.