Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 16-06-2008 , 12:45 AM

Final Gather problem

Hi there.

I'm having problems with FG and animation. The "Optimize for animation" checkbox seems to be working wrong. Now my result looks like crap due to calculation of new FGpoints in every frame and thus a lot of jitter in the render.

Take a look https://www.dump.no/files/97039481a0b2/fg_problem.mov This is the diffusePass.

So if any of you guys know what's wrong, don't hesitate to give me a shout!

# 2 16-06-2008 , 01:31 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
If you have freeze turned on, turn it off.

Other wise MR will calculate the FG rays at the point of the original render, therefore giving you the blotchy render...

Jay

# 3 16-06-2008 , 06:49 AM
Thanks for the reply, Jay! Well, I turned off rebuild, sat it to off but now some other issues are being formed. Have a look https://www.dump.no/files/97039481a0b2/fg.mov again the diffuse pass

It sort of looks like the surface is moving upon the lemon, rather than sticking to it. Weird. Does any of you guys know what could causing the problem?

Thanks user added image

"I never smile if i can help it. Showing ones teeth is a submission signal in primates. When someone smiles at me, all I see is a Chimpanzee begging for its life"
# 4 16-06-2008 , 06:59 AM
You have to keep rebuild 'on' so every frame gets calculated separately unfortunately theres no other way around it, also its worth banging up your accuracy settings they may need to be turned up too to avoid any artifacting

_Jay

# 5 16-06-2008 , 08:45 AM
Thanks again! I'm still getting artifacts in my render. Here's how it is looking right now: https://dump.no/files/97039481a0b2/lemon.mov

That is obviously way to blotchy. I have cranked up the Accuracy and the Point-Interpolation and turned rebuild on but still getting artifacts.

Do you have any idea what's causing the problem?

Thanks for the help so far Jay!

"I never smile if i can help it. Showing ones teeth is a submission signal in primates. When someone smiles at me, all I see is a Chimpanzee begging for its life"
# 6 16-06-2008 , 08:52 AM
LOL are you using global illumination too?

Jay

# 7 16-06-2008 , 09:00 AM
Nope, no Global Illumination. Why?

Edit:

Those big blotches came from Secondary Diffuse Bounces. I accidentally turned it on doing a test render on a different pass, however, I'm still getting all this jitter in every frame which causing a lot of irregularity. Weird!

Any suggestions?

Last edited by hybrid; 16-06-2008 at 09:08 AM.
# 8 16-06-2008 , 09:43 AM
yeah its bugging me, send me the scene I'll have a quick look

Jay

# 9 16-06-2008 , 10:42 AM
Will do tomorrow. I'll host it up and send you an link via PM.

Thanks Jay!