Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 31 07-08-2008 , 04:54 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Gect, Much appreciated.
Lots of detail is key, I'm getting coached into modeling for production, so there are lots of specifics, things I never had to consider for my own work. So it is much more interesting, and dynamic and as I'm sure can be seen in the worklog, lots of re-building to meet specifications.

Anyways, spent about 3 hours on mesh cleanup for the new pieces. Trying to figure out what could be removed to still keep the look I wanted was a large challenge. But LOTS of progress made. So some shots to see if anyone other than myself and my friend notice... lol.

user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

Cheers.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 32 07-08-2008 , 07:49 PM
Super Moderator
Whats up with that? :x

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 33 08-08-2008 , 04:38 AM
Subscriber
sub-d preview. I am going to do low-level mesh smooth to the objects, but as that is done at render time I only need to see what shape I am going to get. As such for a reduced poly count, such issues are created but are no problem as the mesh smooth creates 4 sided polys for me =)

Atleast, that is what I'm told!

Arch Viz Reel

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 34 09-08-2008 , 01:23 PM
Subscriber
Some more updates.
Cleaned up a lot of unnecessary geometry as per specs. You may notice edges that look funny on the mesh smooth preview but that is alright, I've been told it won't matter in the end anyways.
I think at this point, pending design changes the toe is done, all that is left is to rig the springs for it and then duplicate it into place as the other two toes.

user added image

user added image

user added image

lots more to come.
Cheers.

Arch Viz Reel

# 35 09-08-2008 , 01:34 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
This is looking really nice so far.

I really like mechanically complex models.

Looking forward to seeing the final model.

Oh, and maybe post some flat shaded screenies?

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 36 19-08-2008 , 11:10 PM
Subscriber
Cheers Mayaniac, thanks for the comments.

Sorry to anyone who has been trying to follow this thing. Things have been hectic and sporadic around here, trying to get this beast overwith the modeling in the next week or two. in a much better Maya grind right now although the life lessons never seem to cease, but thats another conversation for another day.

Anyways! Lots of progress made, and only a screen shot to show for it right now.
user added image

ok so maybe a different view this time... lol

user added image

Edit: 2:40 pm, one final image to cap this mornings work. will be back to it this evening.

user added image

Arch Viz Reel

Last edited by alexanderH; 20-08-2008 at 12:14 AM.
# 37 20-08-2008 , 11:37 PM
Subscriber
lots more work done between yesterday and now, but in my modesty I've only got one shot to show. A little bit of the detail added to the leg. I will show more of this tomorrow when the attached details are complete. Or maybe later on tonight. Either way.

I've found a groove in my modeling for this concept anyways, which was hard getting down. But things are feeling like they are on the up. If only I had more time to site and focus on maya all would be well!

user added image

Cheers!

Arch Viz Reel

# 38 24-08-2008 , 01:16 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Looks good. Nice and clean.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 39 24-08-2008 , 04:59 PM
Subscriber
Another small update, the larger portion will follow in a few hours, with some more detailed explanations and images.

user added image

Arch Viz Reel

# 40 24-08-2008 , 05:50 PM
what's sick is with the amount of detail and attention to minutia it looks like you could build an actual working model of it. nice job. keep updating! user added image

Accept no substitutions.
# 41 25-08-2008 , 05:09 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Strider!
If this model ever meets up to any standards, it MAY be used in a short film project. And if its not, then this model is the teacher process for me for said project. The project would be a blend of live action and 3D, hence the attempt at pieces that look fabricated and assembled. But I won't get that far ahead of myself.

Been busy working on the model and another project so the update came slower than expected. But I figure I better not put it off another day.

And for the update:
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

And for the WIP on the Torso.
Adjusted a few of the panels to include room for the arm, ladder, and a few other things that I didn't remember on the original design. I still have to do the other side however, so it is not yet seen.

user added image
This is the newly attached ladder, also some connectors from the base of the torso to the "hip" aka the rotators joint as picture in the lower section. Note, the ladder is not attached at the bottom as that plate will stay stationary.
user added image
Some work up into the cockpit now. The frame for the arm supports in the white-ish colour. just above and to the right is the section under the cockpit seat. That actually took too much time to do because I had the shape all blocked out nicely, and then added my divisions and then decided I wanted to bolt it to the body which cause hassles. I now had to create a border. And for some reason I REALLY struggled:headbang: there. But it's all done now, and I think it looks pretty cool.
user added image
Finally, another shot of the exhaust. I'm really liking the design of this bad boy. This side of the body is about 95% complete. Just missing a few nuts and bolts at the moment. I am pretty happy with the body panels, and have actually done a fair bit of work up in the cockpit to adjust for the fact that the ladder only goes up this side. More of the progress should follow tomorrow.

Thanks for watching
:attn:

Cheers,
Alexander

Arch Viz Reel

Last edited by alexanderH; 25-08-2008 at 05:14 PM.
# 42 27-08-2008 , 10:03 AM
That.... looks....... AMAZING! You put in a ton of detail! When you get the final pictures of it... make sure to show all of that detail. It's amazing! I want to see it move user added image

# 43 27-08-2008 , 11:37 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Bluethunder
That.... looks....... AMAZING! You put in a ton of detail! When you get the final pictures of it... make sure to show all of that detail. It's amazing! I want to see it move user added image

haha I can't wait to make it move.
I don't know what I like doing more, building the models, attempting to texture them, rigging them, or rendering them?! It is all so much dang fun!
Lots of work ahead of me though. Hoping to finish up the torso and cockpit in the next 24-48 hours, and then onto the arm. We'll see what that brings haha.
Thanks for the cheers!

Arch Viz Reel

# 44 28-08-2008 , 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by alexanderH
...attempting to texture them..

That made me laugh big time. It does look pretty damn swell (ha! yeah I said "swell"):p Good luck animating that though.

- Genny
# 45 02-09-2008 , 07:13 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by GecT
That made me laugh big time. It does look pretty damn swell (ha! yeah I said "swell"):p Good luck animating that though.

haha Swell, you are starting to sound a lot like me.
Thanks for the shouts, I shall have a party!

Anyways I guess it is update time.
Some family stuff goin on but I seem to be back and in a groove, got a fair bit of work done on this beast.

user added image
user added image

All the details that are missing that I am aware of aka still planning to do are the cockpit controls.

Brief update, not much else to say. A little distracted at the moment. More work to come!

Adding some more shots user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

Arch Viz Reel

Last edited by alexanderH; 02-09-2008 at 07:37 PM.