Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 19-10-2008 , 01:37 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

New Laptop, new issues!

Hey all,

Not been around too much lately, I've been really busy, but anyway. I just bought myself a relatively inexpensive laptop so that I can work in Maya, ZBrush, Photoshop, ect, When I can't use my main system.

Anyway, I installed ZBrush... Works great! 8+Million polys! No problem..... Like sculpting butter!

But now that I've installed Maya, it just isn't working right.
There's lagging in the view port, and trailing of verts. When I slide the 4way view port dividers it leaves trails.
And it's just plain old slow!!! I can't have over 100,000 polys in a scene before it kicks it!

But here's the funny part (If you interpret funny as annoying, that is.) I can have 2 or 3 versions of Maya running at the same time, with no lag on the system. It's just when your operating in Maya. The last time Maya was running this bad was on my old Desktop (512Ram, 1.5GH processor).

The graphics drivers are up to date.

Any thoughts?

Specs: (Cheap and cheerful)

(AMD Turion x2 64 (I know!)) Dual Core Processor 2.0 GHz

3GB DDR2 SDRAM

Nvidia GeForce 8200

32bit OS.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 2 19-10-2008 , 02:27 PM
Hmmm, Strange.

Maya is a but picky with GFx cards, I think that there were issues with the 8XXX series, might be worth searching the maya section of CGtalk and seeing if theres any help on there, could be someting like the AA settings?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 20-10-2008 , 04:43 AM
Subscriber
Hi,

Z-brush is not technically a 3D application and as such requires much less CPU and GPU power to allow sculpting on surfaces which have many millions of faces.

I tried the demo of Z-Brush on my old laptop a few years ago (512Meg Ram and 1.4Ghz celeronM CPU) and it didn't start lagging until I had a count of several milion...... I wouldn't dream of trying to run Maya on the same computer.

Having said this..... 3GB RAM and a 2Ghz dual core should be able to deal with Maya so I'm calling a graphics card issue too.

Mat user added image

Last edited by happymat27; 20-10-2008 at 04:45 AM.
# 4 20-10-2008 , 08:35 PM
Subscriber
set you graphics card to balance between performance and quality.., dont use full quality.

dont use.., 'let my 3D application decide for me' (or whatever that says)

take it easy and life will be easy